McMaster-Carr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys need to wipe your chin, there is a little bit of McM-C dripping....

So, I said my part, I made my decision, you can try to tell me how wrong headed I am for being upset, but it wont change my mind.

So why did you post this thread then? Just curious?

It seems you were obviously looking for a reaction....

You know...

I hope that a few of you on this board never have the need to post your dissatisfaction, I hope your life is all sweetness and light, that there is never any reason to just kinda vent...

Not sure why, but all the "shut up and get over it, I am glad they refused to serve bull**** has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I walked away from this site once before, took a break, guess it is time to do it again.

God I hate some of you...lol (that last line was a joke).

Tim

I have tried, it is always my first option, unless it is a part I need from a vendor such as Weldless Fittings. I usually pay more for it over here than it wold be even with the shipping charges.

Thing is, they dont deal in Home Improvement and plumbing and such the way we do in the States, and then there is that pesky I dont speak Dutch or French that always gets in the way. I am going to a new plumbing supply store that I found last week, and give them a go. If not I will have to order from someplace else.

Tim

Well, I wish you good luck. I understand your frustration. I don't think anyone is trying to downplay your situation. They are just trying to provide the alternate perspective of a company just trying to avoid an export violation. They can be very costly and even result in loss of business. As for your search, you may check things like amazon UK or similar big online resellers with a EU presence.

Would it have been legal for the wife to send them to you? Just not legal for McMaster to sell them? If there's no problem with someone GIVING them to you, send me an address and a part number so I can send you mine for what I paid for them a year ago and order myself some new ones.

BTW - for all you Nancies whining about how the company deserves praise for following the law and the OP deserves derision for being a little torqued that they would not complete a domestic order, remember that it is the company's right to do as they will, and not sell to anyone for any reason. Private enterprise works that way. BUT - it is Tim's right to buy from whom he chooses, and NOT support a business that he feels lacks sound ethical policy. Part of that refusal to support such a business is relating stories to other potential buyers regarding customer service. Where's the bitching when somebody gets a keg that might need a little liquid nails on the ends and starts a thread about it? How about when a vendor crushes a grain order when they're not supposed to? God forbid a Barley Crushes isn't delivered the next day!

Just for the record, I won't be buying from McMaster-Carr any time soon, either. Neither will the business that I work for, in any of the three locations we have. Thanks for posting, Tim.

Thanks for actually understanding why I posted in the first place.

The parts would have gone to my mother in law, for her to add to a box of stuff she was shipping over here to her grand-daughter, but that is besides the point.

I upgraded what I wanted, and for about $20 more got a better product in the long run, and I supported a member of the Home Brewing Family. Well, until I get a email from him saying he cant ship to me...LOL

For all that dont know, an APO is a US address, and still considered domestic...and please dont get into export stuff, I know that my APO is actually in another country, and that has some part to play.

Tim

wa...what the....where the f**k's my truck!?!?

i didn't know they could do that!!

great movie.

I had a similar problem with them trying to order a few products which were to be shipped to me in Miami before being forwarded to Guatemala. They took the time to investigate the business where it was being sent (address had my name/TCI Express) and then 4-5 days later I received a similar email telling me they can't sell to me. As for the reasons to this I don't know and legally I don't see how they can really be held accountable since our freight forwarder is the one taking care of the shipping, paperwork, paperwork and all responsibility at the point which they receive the package, but since this is Mcmaster Carr's policy I will also look elsewhere for many items.

I would guess that you guys are all using credit cards that have a different billing address from where you are having it shipped. If a merchant ships it to an address other than the billing address, they have absolutely no protection from a chargeback.

I'm a little on the fence about MMC. I have done business with them for nearly thirty years and they called me yesterday, cancelled my current purchase orders with them, told me they will no longer do business with me or my business, and that they have some reason to believe I am exporting products overseas. I am not. They are supposed to call me today. I shall see what they say.

I don't do any exporting. The orders they cancelled on me were 1) hardware I needed in a hurry for some customer orders, and 2) some products I needed in a hurry to build some prototypes for another customer.

Several years ago, when MMC was facing a lot of competition from imported products, they (at least through the CS reps I spoke with) were putting on the face that they only wanted to sell domestically-made products. I was purchasing regularly from them at the time and told them I would have to go elsewhere for certain products because I just couldn't afford to pay 2 to 5 times the price (don't remember the exact multiplier) for the "high quality" version of those products when the "lower quality" version suited my needs. That's when they revealed to me that they have a special department they didn't advertise, but they could sell me their "lower quality" imported versions and the quality would be just fine for me.

I have found over the years that MMC runs an efficient business and fills a market area well; i.e., large selection of products in stock, easy ordering, and very fast delivery. The price per unit is high, but many people are willing to pay for the convenience and service. However, I find some of their practices, like those just mentioned, a little questionable. I'm all for private businesses making their own decisions, so I won't criticize their decision to not do business with me. I can go to their competitors easily, though I have usually found MMC to be better in my geographical area. What's also a little funny is what I know about some of the products MMC sells, where they come from and who makes them, but I won't disclose that right now. I don't want to be a target.

We (and MMC) should be a little careful about how we apply some policies. I respect efforts to prevent inappropriate or unlawful exportation. The right to discriminate, while it may have a good basis, should be exercised responsibly and without hypocricy. A large company like MMC, striving for efficiency to stay competitive, may not have the time or desire to bother. It's OK. I can go elsewhere.

This topic is stupid.

this whole thread is stupid. OP seems to think that being an enlisted man somehow makes up for the fact that he completely refuses to even listen to reason.

a humble person who serves his country deserves respect. agreed, and i would be the first to thank you for it.

a person who believes hes entitled to respect simply because he enlists, is mistaken. its easy to confuse the two when people blow smoke up your ass every time you put on a uniform, but they are distinctly different.

threatening physical violence because someone called you a name on the internet doesnt make you look any more rational, either, by the way.

you do also realize that its common practice for governement agencies to try and catch companies skirting the no-export rules by ordering exactly as you did. call a place and ask to ship it internationally, or to a military address, and if they refuse ask to have the same exact order shipped locally "to a friend"...? if they had accepted, they could be fined or shut down, if you were actually working on behalf of the government. you already identified yourself as being an employee of the governement, so they had every reason to be cautious.

back on topic- ive ordered many times from mcmaster and, while ive never had or needed any real customer service, i have zero complaints about them.

McMaster Carr is hard core.

theironsheik006.jpg

this whole thread is stupid. OP seems to think that being an enlisted man somehow makes up for the fact that he completely refuses to even listen to reason.

a humble person who serves his country deserves respect. agreed, and i would be the first to thank you for it.

a person who believes hes entitled to respect simply because he enlists, is mistaken. its easy to confuse the two when people blow smoke up your ass every time you put on a uniform, but they are distinctly different.

threatening physical violence because someone called you a name on the internet doesnt make you look any more rational, either, by the way.

you do also realize that its common practice for governement agencies to try and catch companies skirting the no-export rules by ordering exactly as you did. call a place and ask to ship it internationally, or to a military address, and if they refuse ask to have the same exact order shipped locally "to a friend"...? if they had accepted, they could be fined or shut down, if you were actually working on behalf of the government. you already identified yourself as being an employee of the governement, so they had every reason to be cautious.

back on topic- ive ordered many times from mcmaster and, while ive never had or needed any real customer service, i have zero complaints about them.

Back on topic? The topic was my frustration with the company for not shipping my order. Not that you what to have McM-C babies in your throat.

I get that they don't have to ship to me, for what ever reason. But, I also get to be upset about it.

You have no idea who i am, what kind of soldier I am, what kind of anything. I am not even sure why this thread was dug up after so long.

This will be my last post on this topic, in this thread, on this board.

I really hate this place, it is everything that is wrong with the Internet, and the elitist attitude that gets passed around and handed down by some on this board is absoluty amazing.

I have one finger up on each hand, can you guess the one?

Peace out

Tim

Back on topic? The topic was my frustration with the company for not shipping my order. Not that you what to have McM-C babies in your throat.

I get that they don't have to ship to me, for what ever reason. But, I also get to be upset about it.

You have no idea who i am, what kind of soldier I am, what kind of anything. I am not even sure why this thread was dug up after so long.

This will be my last post on this topic, in this thread, on this board.

I really hate this place, it is everything that is wrong with the Internet, and the elitist attitude that gets passed around and handed down by some on this board is absoluty amazing.

I have one finger up on each hand, can you guess the one?

Peace out

Tim

With posts like these ..... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back