Juror pay to good use!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
I have been on grand jury this summer. Should be getting paid in a few weeks for it. Last night my wife tells me; "once you get paid for jury duty, you'll be able to buy the blichmann burner." Holy crap Im stoked! Hopefully by the end of next month I will have a blichmann burner. Great timing since I just moved to doing BIAB AG brewing. I've had to borrow a burner until now.

Who else has a blichmann burner and loves it?

I thought you didn't get *#*$ from jury duty.

It all depends. I was on a jury a few years back and was in court for like 3 weeks. I was paid my regular wage at work plus i got jury duty pay.

It was a pretty sweet gig.

I thought you didn't get *#*$ from jury duty.

That's cool, congrats!

You usually don't get much...maybe 20 buxs. But in Maryland, for grand jury you can be on call for several months. One day a week, every other week, for 3 months at 20 a pop starts to add up. Especially if your employer pays you while you have jury duty.

I just upgraded to a Blichmann burner. Get the leg extensions if you can swing it. The burner is a beast. Barely need any glass flow to boil my normal 7gallons of wort. A true workhorse...

TxBrew said:
How much are you getting?

I'm getting $345. Here in Oregon. Grand jury is every Tuesday and Thursday for two months. It's 10 bucks for the first two days and 25 bucks a day after that. Sweet deal.

Gitmoe said:
I just upgraded to a Blichmann burner. Get the leg extensions if you can swing it. The burner is a beast. Barely need any glass flow to boil my normal 7gallons of wort. A true workhorse...

That's the plan for sure. I want to brew in my cover front porch with a view of the columbia river. Makes for a nice brew day.

Got one recently and it's worth every penny. Leg extensions are awesome so get 'em.

Uses very little propane (once my tank is out I'm switching it to NG), boils and heats water very quickly, and is reliable. Oh, and it's rock solid as well. A beast!

My old turkey fryer left soot and a huge mess on the bottoms of my pots. This blichmann leaves nothing. In fact, it seems to be cleaning them off for me!

I was on the spot for the Oregon grand jury a couple years ago. Never got called. Just the county court, which doesn't pay enough to buy lunch off the dollar menu. Almost got picked for a trial, but with only two people (I was one) left out of 168 starters, the judge made it really clear to the lawyers that they were to seat a jury NOW or the case was getting thrown out.

Except, you were supposed to turn that $49/day back over to your employer ;)

Used to. But a couple of years ago they stopped collecting it. Said it was for parking, lunch etc. Course....I don't park in the garage. I wasn't going to argue with them.

$25 dollars a day ain't much. They nice part for me is that my grand jury duty is scheduled and pretty consistent. So it's easier for me (with a flexible job) to work around it.

Well, I did it. I just ordered a blichmann floor burner with the leg extensions. Beyond excited about this.

I remember being called for jury duty back around 1980. I would have collected about 20-25% of my regular pay!

I didn't get selected.

Hmm didnt know that, and im fairly sure no one told me that as i wouldnt have risked my job for the money.

If you work for a large company they probably don't even have a process in place to cash a check made out to you, I mean sure you can sigh the back and give to them but then what are they going to do with it? Too much of a bother I am sure.

Not sure about NJ or PA laws but I was never once asked to hand over that check in either state by employers.

Latest posts

Back