Jelly/Jam Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
3 LB Jelly/Jam (Any Flavor)
3 Quarts Water
1 LB Sugar
2 TSP Acid Blend
1/2 TSP Tannin
1 TSP Nutrient
1 TSP Pectin Enzyme
1 TSP Wine Yeast

Starting 1.095-1.100
Finished ~1.000

Put Jelly/Jam into fermentor. Stir in cool water (not warm) mix well.

Mix other ingredients in, stir. Add yeast, cover primary.

Stir daily, check gravity daily. After about 3-5 days when gravity reaches ~1.040 siphon to secondary. Attach airlock.

After about 3 weeks when gravity reaches ~1.000 siphon to secondary, reattach airlock.

To help clear, siphon again in 2 months and again if needed before bottling.

If you wanna sweeten at bottling, add 1/2 tsp stabilizer, then stir 1/4 lb dissolved sugar per gallon.

You can use any Jam/Jelly for this, I'm using huckleberry this time. Prob try strawberry soon too.

How did this wine turn out?? Very curious about jelly wines. Did u end up making the strawberry?

Can anyone provide any tasting notes or thoughts on a jelly wine? Im thinking about giving it a go soon.

WE made both blackberry and red raspberry and they we both well liked by everyone who we gifted bottles too.
The only additional thoughts is to use a whisk to blend the jam with the water so you do not end up with clumps.

I would not use jelly but jam and be sure to buy the seedless varieties of jam.

Also it is critical not to omit the pectic enzyme or the wine will be very cloudy.

I made a strawberry jam wine not too long ago and it was well received by a few. Yes the pectic enzyme is imperative and even then I used liberal amounts and it was still difficult to clear. Lots of cold crashing, a simple filtering and cold crashing again did the trick. The taste is less like fermented strawberries and more just tasted like the jam. But I back sweetened with additional jam so that may be the real cause. It is not bad but I am not sure it is the best wine.

Back