Mango Pale Ale thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Over the past few very hot summer days I have been pondering making a Mango Pale Ale and am in the process of working up a recipe. Let me say first that I am a beginner brewer and this will be my fourth batch, the first three of those being extract kits. Because of this I really don’t have any experience coming up with a good recipe which is why I am hoping that you guys could give me some advice. I am looking to brew a light ale that is not too bitter and will finish with the subtle taste of mango. I’ve done some research online and found one recipe which is as follows:

1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) light liquid malt extract
3 lbs light DME
1.0 lbs pislner malt
.75 oz chinook leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (2 min)
Nottingham ale yeast (starter)

I was wondering if this recipe looks alright and if there is anything that you think ought to be changed to better it. I plan on racking the beer into secondary onto about five pounds of fresh mango cubes or possibly frozen mango which I would puree in the food processor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Over the past few very hot summer days I have been pondering making a Mango Pale Ale and am in the process of working up a recipe. Let me say first that I am a beginner brewer and this will be my fourth batch, the first three of those being extract kits. Because of this I really don’t have any experience coming up with a good recipe which is why I am hoping that you guys could give me some advice. I am looking to brew a light ale that is not too bitter and will finish with the subtle taste of mango. I’ve done some research online and found one recipe which is as follows:

1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) light liquid malt extract
3 lbs light DME
1.0 lbs pislner malt
.75 oz chinook leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (60 min)
.75 oz cascade leaf hops (2 min)
Nottingham ale yeast (starter)

I was wondering if this recipe looks alright and if there is anything that you think ought to be changed to better it. I plan on racking the beer into secondary onto about five pounds of fresh mango cubes or possibly frozen mango which I would puree in the food processor. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I've never used real mango in a beer, but I would suggest that if you want a mango flavored beer to use citra hops. I made an all citra beer, and it screamed MANGO to me. Citra hops at 10 minutes and 2 minutes would give you a definite mango fruitiness that might play better with real mango than cascade.

I would definitely try late hopping with Citra. I get a major mango flavor and aroma out of them. I would also use 1056 or us-05 if you want dry yeast to keep the flavors clean. I'm not an extract brewer so idk but the pound of pils malt seems unnecessary as a steeping malt. good luck

I did an american pale ale and racked onto 1lb. of frozen mango cubes for one week. It was amazing, next time I may try 2 pounds for for days maybe. The mango was very noticeable, turned out crisp and refreshing!

Thanks for your replies. Yooper, do you think using the citra at 60min, 10 min and 2min sounds right or should i keep the chinook for the first hop addition? I will probably end up using the white labs american ale liquid yeast as that seems to be the best option. Do you think i should cut down the steeping grains to maybe a half pound?

If you have chinook on hand there's not any reason why you couldn't use it for the first bittering addition, but if you are buying everything anyway, might as well just stick with the single hop.

Since your not mashing, no real reason to use pilsner malt for steeping. I'd swap it for cara-pils or crystal 10.

So here's the final recipe I decided on:

3lbs Light LME
3lbs Light DME
1lb Crystal 10 malt
5oz Cara-pils malt
.75oz of citra at 60min, 10 min and 2 min
White Labs liquid American ale yeast
Racking onto an undecided amount of mango in secondary

Plan on brewing it at the end of August, I will let you know how it turns out!

I just returned from St. John US VI and this beer is stupid delicious! As a favor to the friends who invited me and now because I am ADDICTED!!! I want to make a clone of this if possible. I would simply buy it, but it is unavailable outside of Maine, and now also not available in Florida after a fire.

Does anyone have any input on this guy's recipe (he never came back to let us know how it turned out) or recommendations on starting from scratch?

I just returned from St. John US VI and this beer is stupid delicious! As a favor to the friends who invited me and now because I am ADDICTED!!! I want to make a clone of this if possible. I would simply buy it, but it is unavailable outside of Maine, and now also not available in Florida after a fire.

Does anyone have any input on this guy's recipe (he never came back to let us know how it turned out) or recommendations on starting from scratch?

He is still around. Looks like he used 5 lbs Mangoes, from another thread.

He said he plans on brewing it at the end of this month. Give it some time.

:)

August 2011!!!!!!

Going to make a mango American rye ale this weekend. My friend gave me some of the sweetest mangoes you ever tasted. I am hoping the spiciness of the rye combines well with the mango.

Could you share the extract recipe?

My local shop has mango extract.

I do a mango IIPA that is the best and most popular beer a brew. Good bit of darker crystal malt and Mosaic, Zythos, and Warrior (for bittering and flavor). Secret is mango puree from the Indian grocery. My buddy gave it to me and I just threw it in the base beer after ferment. Made multiple times and it always just disappears.
You want ALFONSO mango pulp. Its a special mango from the western part of India. Look for less/no preservatives and less added sugar (less calories/oz). I use the big 32oz can, whole thing.
Cannot say enough about how well the mango comes out in the beer.

how do you make an IPA with only 5.5 ounces of total hops??

Trust me! If you keep the temp relatively low during dry hop, you keep a lot more of the volatile aromas from dissipating. I ran it at a steady 63. I think you could safely go even lower. Just be sure you're fully done fermenting. And then cold crash immediately after removing the dry hops, so you don't lose any aroma. Long bottle conditioning will make up for your (slightly) abbreviated secondary, which in my case ran 9 days instead of 14. Another option would be to start your dry hop 5 days after racking to secondary.

You certainly can step up the bittering units. I kept it in the low range of Imperial IPA style because I'm experimenting with the mango/tropical aromas and I want to showcase them. In my latest batch I'm using Nottingham for a drier finish to compensate for the admittedly restrained bitterness, because the extreme fruitiness will give a false impression of sweetness if I'm not careful.

Also, I'm not sure there's any point using Mosaic for bittering. Magnum is cheaper and has a good neutral character.

Last edited:
Recipe pls How?

It's all grain, but you could just replace the top two grains with a couple 3.3lb containers of Pale LME. Steep the rest. Replace the first wort hops with around the same amount, around the 20 minute mark.

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
6.5 lb Optic (UK) Any Mash 38 2 °L
3.0 lb 6-Row (US) Any Mash 35 1 °L
1.0 lb Crystal 60L (CA) Any Mash 34 60 °L
1.0 lb Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) Any Mash 34 40 °L
1.0 lb Flaked Rye Any 36 2 °L
1.0 lb Munich (UK) Any Mash 37 6 °L
Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
0.75 oz Warrior (US) 20 min First Wort Pellet 16.0%
0.5 oz Warrior (US) 60 min Boil Pellet 16.0%
0.5 oz Mosiac 60 min Boil Pellet 12.7%
0.5 oz Mosiac 30 min Boil Pellet 12.7%
0.5 oz Warrior (US) 30 min Boil Pellet 16.0%
1.0 oz Zythos (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
0.25 oz Warrior (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 16.0%
1.5 oz Zythos (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 11.0%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Pacific Ale Yeast White Labs WLP041 80.0%

As promised, here's the extract recipe for my Mango IPA:

6.5 lb Pils dme
3.15 lb Munich lme

Steeping:
2 lb Pils
11 oz Crystal 40 (it's what I had on hand)
3 oz chocolate

1.6 oz US Magnum 60 min IBU 60.2
1.5 oz Mosaic 5 min IBU 11.4
2 oz Mosaic dry hop 8 days at 62-66 (if possible)

Nottingham, 2 packs
Primary 2 weeks 66-68
Secondary 2 weeks 62-66

Add dry hops on day 5 of secondary. Remove on day 14 and cold crash immediately to retain volatile aroma compounds, 2 days, then add gelatin (1 tsp/5 gal), leave 4 days, then rack to keg or bottling bucket.

You can get more details about our process at the Jig Head web site, and I have attached the BeerXML file to this reply. Feel free to use it and tinker with it, and if you like the changes you make, I'd love to hear about it!

View attachment MuskellungeIPAX.xml

I've done a Mango Apa and try to keep the IBU below 25 and don't like to use citra if using real mango. It'll over power the mango. I use a 4lb frozen bag from Costco after fermentation then another 2 lbs in 2 weeks. That's for a 5 gallon batch.....

I've done a Mango Apa and try to keep the IBU below 25 and don't like to use citra if using real mango. It'll over power the mango. I use a 4lb frozen bag from Costco after fermentation then another 2 lbs in 2 weeks. That's for a 5 gallon batch.....

I'd love to see your recipe.:mug:

I'd love to see your recipe.:mug:

Here is my mango recipe 5 gallons
10lb 2 row
1lbcrystal 20
1lb white wheat
.5lb carpalis
.25 lb rice hulls
.5 oz centennial 60 min
1oz crystal 15min
1.5oz cascade 5min
mashed at 152* 60 min
US-05
IBUs 24
ABV 6.1%
SRM 5.8 before fruit additions

2 weeks primary then racked into secondary onto 4 lbs frozen mango pureed
2 weeks added 2lb of same mango
bottled 1 week later.

I just made a mango version of Summer Citra Cerveza. After 5 days, I added 1 lb. of mango to primary (that I cut and steeped in 170* water for 10 mins) and let it sit for another week before bottling.
Full disclosure, I am not exactly happy with the results based off of my hydro sample at bottling, but I think I may have jumped the gun adding the mango's too early into fermentation and I also used US-05 instead of Nottingham, which I think would have been the better choice.
The bottles have only been conditioning for about 10 days now and I think it will take a few weeks before the flavors meld and this beer is really ready. Time will tell.

Back