Am I having a Munton's yeast problem ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYbrewer

Reaction score
I am wondering if I have a stuck fermentation. I brewed a batch with some various ingredients. I am trying to use up my extracts, so I can stock up on grains...and have stopped using Munton's yeast. This batch I am concerned about is

3.3 lbs. LME
3.75 lbs. Wheat LME
2 cups brown sugar
1 oz. amarillo hops (1 hour)
1 oz. Munton's yeast

1 hour boil (3 gallons)
pitched at 80 degrees
primary 12 days temps are 60-65
secondary 3 weeks
original gravity 1050
current gravity 1020, been 1020 for over 2 weeks

do I bottle, or let it go longer ??

THANK YOU

I am by no means an expert, but the brown sugar is throwing me off. I read somewhere that different yeast consume different types of sugar differently. I am thinking folks use corn sugar due to the fact it is easier for the yeast to consume. The brown sugar my be giving that particular yeast fits.

Long story short, that may be all it can do. I would go ahead and bottle if it where me....

It's probably as low as the Munton's is going to get. It's notorious for the 1.020 curse. I've bottled a lot of Munton's at 1.020 and never had a bottle explode, however, I did stop using Munton's completely after I realized that it doesn't ferment out as much as I like.

It's probably as low as the Munton's is going to get. It's notorious for the 1.020 curse. I've bottled a lot of Munton's at 1.020 and never had a bottle explode, however, I did stop using Munton's completely after I realized that it doesn't ferment out as much as I like.
+1 on the Muntons, unfortunately I have had bottles explode. :(

If you can, I would suggest getting some Nottingham, US-5 or S-04 to finish it out. With the sugar in there that should be finishing lower than 1.020.

I do have some US-05, do I just put half a pack in the carboy and swish it around ??

Well, The reading on this brew is still 1020. Can I get a vote on bottling it. I am getting a bubble on the airlock about every 3-5 minutes, but the gravity isn't changing. Thanks

I did repitch on 1/25, shook very well after hydrating, been at 66 degrees since.

is this also a problem with Munton's premium gold. I order an AHS wheat stout, and that yeast was one of the one's suggested?

what did you repitch with? I had a coopers canned kit that stalled at 1.020. I repitched with Nottingham, and it never got any lower. Must be the extract quality.

O.K...If I bottle, when are potential bottle bombs most likely to explode ?? Am I safe after a few weeks, or is it a danger untli they are all opened and gone ?

I believe I am going to bottle today, just want to know how long before I can safely hand them to someone..if ever.

Back