first partail mash recipe, need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
heres my first recipe, im brewing tommarow. i need to know, how long and what temp. should i steep at?

Amber Cream ale

1.5 Lbs grits
3.25 lbs Amber LME
3 lbs pilsner malt
1 oz palisade hops (7.4 alpha 8.4 beta value)
going to try to reuse my last ale yeast after a wash

how long should i steep it, and at what temp?

how long should i steep it, and at what temp?

That would be up to you, really. A lower temp, say around 150F will give you a dryer beer. Around 155F will give you more body to the beer and more unfermentable sugars. Somewhere in between will give you something between the two (as you probably guessed).

I usually do my mash for an hour, but some do less. What are you going to mash in?

not really sure im probly gonna follow the partail mash sticky on the begginers brewing page, thanks for the input brewsmith said 175 degrees for 75 mins and i knew that was way too high

not really sure im probly gonna follow the partail mash sticky on the begginers brewing page, thanks for the input brewsmith said 175 degrees for 75 mins and i knew that was way too high

Yeah. Your strike temp will be higher than what you mash at, but that's too high.

I just got a cooler to partial mash in, but when I used my pasta pot I would get it to the right temp and then put it in the oven for the hour. Set it for 150 and it'll hold my mash at temp for the whole 60 mins.

I just got a cooler to partial mash in, but when I used my pasta pot I would get it to the right temp and then put it in the oven for the hour. Set it for 150 and it'll hold my mash at temp for the whole 60 mins.

wow what i great idea i totally didnt think of that, i was really worried about heat loss during mash too.

wow what i great idea i totally didnt think of that, i was really worried about heat loss during mash too.

Um... well, I invented it myself.

*hacks HBT to delete the posts when he learned about it*

Yeah... it was all my idea.

now the only problem is... will my 3 gallon mash pot fit into my retardedly small oven (seriously its like the smallest oven you can possibly buy *shakes fist at land lord*)

I have the same issue. I have to take one rack out and put the other one a the lowest point and then it just barely fits.

I mash my PMs in a 5G pot with a sweatshirt over it and hold temp for a hour every time.Seems like everyone has their own methods.Just gotta find one that works for you.Kind of :off: But I just found out a buddy of mine(who makes really good beer) puts ice cubes in the fermenter to cool the wort.I would never try this because...well have you ever tasted melted ice cube water?!?But like I said Iv'e tried many of his beers and haven't had a bad one yet.

so long as you make the ice for the batch it wont suck up freezer smells too much, id be worried about bacteria tho.... or better yet buy a large bag of ice at the store, they boil then freeze it, perfect for sanitary ice plus not being stored in your freezer= no funky smells or tastes

I've done that. I boil water or use bottled water and put it in a plastic container with a lid and toss that in the freezer. So, it's the same water I'll be using for top up anyway. Drop a big cube in to the kettle when I put it in the sink and it cools down quick.

Back