Duvel clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just had my first Duvel, and I really enjoyed it. It is a little hoppier than I usually like, is there a recipe that I can copy with slightly less hops??

Has anyone tried these clone recipes, maybe with some citra hop (boiled & dry hopped)? Duvel Tripel hop 2016 (third, additional hop was citra) was an extraordinary beer. I liked it much more than the standard Duvel, which is ok, too.

Has anyone tried these clone recipes, maybe with some citra hop (boiled & dry hopped)? Duvel Tripel hop 2016 (third, additional hop was citra) was an extraordinary beer. I liked it much more than the standard Duvel, which is ok, too.

Brew like a Monk has an excellent section on Duvel with a ton of brewing information straight from the brewery.

That would be my first stop, then review clone recipes, then pick a suitable third hop if Tripel Hop is your thing and experiment.

Yeast health and attenuation are going to be key to any Duvel clone. WLP570 and WY1388 are the yeasts you want.

+1 for using CSI’s recipe and reading the Duvel write up in BLAM. This was my most satisfying “clone” as I feel it was really close, nearly identical, in appearance, taste, and mouthfeel. Besides, I love Duvel and at $15/4-pack I cant justify buying it very often. Although I love CSI’s syrups, I did not use them but rather 2lbs of dextrose in my 5.4gal batch. As mentioned, ensuring complete attenuation (temperature ramping at the end) is important. I also think the extended cold crash is important.

Latest posts

Back