Averaging Alpha Acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iparks81

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA the about 2 months ago..
My hop bill consisted of
1oz Simcoe 13.00%AA pellet
1oz Warrior 17.2%AA pellet
2oz Amarillo 7.5%AA pellet

4oz Total All mixed together

Hop Schedule: .25oz 90 min
.25oz 60 min
From there I Put the remainder of the hops (3.5oz) into a machine that the owner of my LHBS made that drops 0.1oz hops per minuted into the boil (pretty cool build, I'll ask him if he minds me putting it on here)
for the last 35 minutes.

Now heres my question.
upon entering this recipe into Beersmith (I cant even begin to describe how long and boring that was!)
I figured that I could average out the hop AA% to get a rough Idea of the IBU's of this beer. I came up with 11.5% avg for all three hops....is this right, or is there something that prevents you from taking averages of AA due to an unknown (by me) factor.

by the way this beer will always be on tap from now on...Its soooo good.

Yeah you can do that. The brew program doesn't care what kind of hops you use the algorithm just needs to know how much alpha acid there is.

Thanks, I thought it was a decent idea myself. It makes it much easier for a recipe such as Dogfish 60 or 90 minute.

I would also be interested in the hopping contraption. I have been thinking about trying to modify one of those fish feeders that can go off in intervals or making something like it.

Back