What to expect? Had to get Underway.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckymic

Reaction score
I just left for a quick 2 week underway det up north and I had to leave my first brew in the secondary while I'm gone. If I went by the destructions it should've been done the day I had to leave. I didnt have the time to get it in the keg and in the fridge so I just left it sitting. What can I expect it good/bad from the "extra time" it's going to sit in the carboy Here's a few details:

Autum Amber Ale (Midwest)
-2 weeks primary
-2 weeks secondary (so far, will be 4 weeks total)
-75 degree room temp (sitting in the unused bathroom)

Just curious, and I'm at sea and there's no beer out here so why not talk about some HB

What "extra time?" That's my normal timeframe if I opt to use a secondary.....2 and 2. Since I rarely use a secondary anymore my normal is 1 month in primary.

You beer will be fine now.

I second revvy. It will be just fine. I also keep my beers for about 2-3 weeks in primary and at least that long in secondary (usually longer), depending upon the strength. I have also been using only primaries as of late (last few months), again depending upon the strength. That technique seems to work well and the brews stay in primary for at least 5 weeks.

I left a brown ale in my primary x 8 weeks. It has now been in the bottle x 4 weeks now, and it's very good. This was the longest I've ever let a beer sit in the primary, but 6 weeks in the primary is not uncommon for me and I've never had any issues.

EDIT: I don't intentionally leave in the primary for 6-8 weeks; it's a combination of laziness, other obligations, and a dislike of bottling. Not saying it's ideal, but certainly hasn't hurt anything. I'll be bottling my Sam Adams Blackberry Wit Clone this weekend after 4 weeks in the primary, I'm actually pretty psyched as it was my first partial mash.

Back