great "oktoberfest" using kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i have been working on an oktoberfest using kolsch yeast. i got most of the basic ideas from recipes posted on HBT. after 3 weeks in primary it is smooth, malty, but with a nice, subtle hop bitter on the back end. the aroma is almost all malt, but there is a great hop balance. this beer gets a swillable rating of 9.5 out of 10. at 3 weeks from grain to glass, it is a worthy brew.

7 # pilsner
1 #caramunich
2 #biscuit

1/2 oz n brewer for 60
1/2 oz n brewer for 45
1/2 oz n brewer for 30
1/2 oz n brewer for 15

german kolsch yeast

ferment at 62 for 3 weeks

drink EXCESSIVELY:mug:

When I first started brewing I tried everything under the sun to make an Oktoberfest ale and they never came close, its my favorite style and I tried every recipe on this board, but no luck. So good for you, I would love to hear how it is in a few months. Good Luck

I've had success with this recipe:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.42 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 42.55 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.13 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer 2008 [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer 2008 [4.70 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Salt (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 4.26 %
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.06 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Out of curiosity, why do people like Kolsch yeast so much for Ale-version Oktoberfest beers?

I brewed Edwort's Oktoberfest with the Wyeast Kolsch and fermented it pretty cool. It turned out to taste very good, one of my better batches. But it did not taste anywhere near a lager taste. It really felt like your standard 1056/US-05 type chico yeasts would have done a much better job at providing a clean "lager" taste. I find that the Kolsch yeast imparts a slightly creamy/buttery flavor. I use Kolsch yeast a lot because I like this flavor, but I don't find it to be something that would be appropriate in a clean, lager beer.

It may just be my preference vs. other peoples' preference, which is fine-- but if you want my opinion, it's that the Kolsch yeast strains are not as effective as a 1056 type strain when imitating lagers (Pacman is my favorite because I can ferment at 57 degrees just fine).

Out of curiosity, why do people like Kolsch yeast so much for Ale-version Oktoberfest beers?

I brewed Edwort's Oktoberfest with the Wyeast Kolsch and fermented it pretty cool. It turned out to taste very good, one of my better batches. But it did not taste anywhere near a lager taste. It really felt like your standard 1056/US-05 type chico yeasts would have done a much better job at providing a clean "lager" taste. I find that the Kolsch yeast imparts a slightly creamy/buttery flavor. I use Kolsch yeast a lot because I like this flavor, but I don't find it to be something that would be appropriate in a clean, lager beer.

It may just be my preference vs. other peoples' preference, which is fine-- but if you want my opinion, it's that the Kolsch yeast strains are not as effective as a 1056 type strain when imitating lagers (Pacman is my favorite because I can ferment at 57 degrees just fine).

+1, I agree I don't think Kolsh yeast tastes lager like at all. I getty a buttered toast flavor from it, it's not bad, but it's not lager like. I like pacman or nottingham fermented cool for these types of beers. Pacman especially, it seems to attenuate just a little better than notty..but they are close.

You guys are right, to get a lager you need lager yeast and lager temps, but what combination of malt and hops get you closest with ale yeast. I think thats the discussion, I have tried 10 + recipes using ale yeast and hated every one of them.

I think that the "buttered" flavor would actually be the yeast throwing out a bit of diacetyl, which you can be remedied by bringing the fermenting beer up in temp for a rest at normal ale temps, just like you would for a lager.

I think that the "buttered" flavor would actually be the yeast throwing out a bit of diacetyl, which you can be remedied by bringing the fermenting beer up in temp for a rest at normal ale temps, just like you would for a lager.

I know that wasn't the case with my kolch beers, fermented at 62 for the first week and raised it to 68 for 3 days before cold crashing. Regardless, very controlled, extended, cool fermentations are what helps lagers get their trademark clean flavors. As far as I am concerned, nottingham and pacman will get you closer then a kolsch or german ale yeast.

I've often wondered if that is the case, because I don't brew lagers really, so I haven't really nailed down the diacetyl taste. However, like permo, I ferment my Kolsch-yeast beers cold but once they get to about .010 to .007 from their anticipated FG, I ramp them up to something in-between 65 and 70 (let the apartment's room temp decide) and I still get the flavor. I feel it's just a yeast characteristic. I know New Glarus uses White Labs or Wyeast Kolsch strain for their Spotted Cow, and I notice this flavor in that beer as well.

Back