Old Ale yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to formulate an Old Ale style recipe. One reason is the
"tang" taste in New Castle Brown ale that I attribute to the old ale addition.
The plum, rasiny, tangy taste.
Now the BYO clone edition says they used WLP017 (Whitebread) yeast,
and in other reading I've seen WLP002, OO4 & 013 used, so I'm a bit confused.
Which yeast style would best give that plum, tangy bite?

Plum and raisin notes are usually from dark crystal malts and/or some oxidation from prolonged aging, not usually a yeast flavour. Any English style yeast wuold probably be fine. I use Nottingham dry or Wyeast 1968 for all my English beers including old ales.

GT

the recipes I've been looking at might resemble as follows:

Pale malt
20%Munich
1/2 to 1# Crystal 60 or 80
1/4# choc. malt
10% flaked corn

maybe some dark sugar for some rum notes

English hops

Having never used Wlp017, wasn't sure what kind of results to expect.

I get plum/raisin notes from adding Special B (seems to give the raisiny notes better than Crystal 120) in my Scottish Ale which to uses 1728. It doesn't ferment out as much as some and that may accentuate these flavors. I also have been locking in a Fuller's 1845 clone (which uses WLP002/1968 - another one that leaves some residual sweetness, probably more than 1728). Although it is at the lower end of the Old Ale category, it is a darn good beer that has that same raisin/plum/rum flavor.

I have seen recipes for 1845 on-line, but none seem plausible to me. Fuller's states 6.3% ABV but many clone recipes show 1.062 OG. Fuller's yeast states attenuation of 63% to 70%, but with SG of 1.062 and 6.3% ABV, it would have to get 76% attenuation. I think the SG is closer to 1.070 and it has a good amount of residual sweetness. My current incarnation is aging and has 1.25 pounds of Crystal malts ranging from 20L to 80L plus a half pound of Special B to boot (my first whack at it used only two kinds of Crystal and was rightly judged as not being quite complex enough). It also has some Amber malt which is suppossedly in 1845, and I added some Aromatic malt for more maltiness. If you are interested in the details of the recipe, PM me.

Christmas Old Ale

12 pounds maris otter pale malt
2 pounds Munich malt (bring out malt flavor)
1 pound Crystal 80 l (add some complexity and color; raisin and plum notes)
1/4 pound chocolate (color)
Mash @154 for 90 minutes
1.5 oz 5% Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz sweet orange peel (15 minutes)
1 lb Dark Sugar (15 minute)
2 whole cloves cracked (5 minutes)
1 cinamon stick (5 minutes)

Ferment with Nottingham for 21 days
secondary for 21 days and then bottle condition until December.

Back