7 gallon round rubbermaid cooler at WallyWorld $28 w/free shipping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would certainly suffice for any beer that I'd want to brew, or drink for that matter! I've gone as high as 1.070 in my 5 gallon cooler, although it was tight. 7 gallons ought to be fine for all but the strongest brews.

This is exactly what I am using. I ordered online, had it shipped to store.

I built a CPVC manifold, but want to try a braided hose. I get about 71% efficiency.

I use a 7-gallon round cooler with a bazooka tube. It works well (85-90 percent efficiency) but maxes out at around 13# of grain. If I'm doing a bigger beer than that I add DME to the boil to reach my target gravity.

Beerthoven said:
I use a 7-gallon round cooler with a bazooka tube. It works well (85-90 percent efficiency) but maxes out at around 13# of grain. If I'm doing a bigger beer than that I add DME to the boil to reach my target gravity.

Hmmnn...I've gotten close to 13# in my 5 gallon just fine, I'd think the 7 gallon cooler would buy you at least another 5-6# of latitude.

Like you, should I want to make a monster beer, I'll just throw some DME in the boil.

Really thats it 13#. I tend to do bigger beers, and almost bought that cooler till I read this. Is 13# at a 1.25qt/1lb or smaller?

Back