Best Bittering Substitute for Hallertau Hersbrucker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I need help with a hop substitute. The recipe I'm looking at calls for 1 oz of Hallertau Hersbrucker at 60 min (of a 60 min boil). Being pretty new to brewing, I'm still trying to figure out when/how to substitute hops. I'm assuming that because these are added at 60 min., they're strictly for bittering purposes, right? With that said, how would I know what hops that I currently have would substitute correctly for the Hallertau? I currently have Mt. Hood, Willamette, Cascade, Simcoe, EK Goldings, and Chinook.

Any help would be appreciated.

You're right in assuming that, since it's a 60min addition, the hop variety won't have a huge impact on the final product. With that said, i'd still go with something comparable. From what you have on hand, Mt. Hood would be a good option. Just be sure to adjust for differences in alpha acid.

To find an approriate substitute you may want to think about trying something like entering "Hallertau Hersbrucker Substitute" into a search engine. Try google. I did and came up with this: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Crystal

The popular thing to do is to use high-alpha acid hops for bittering, so you can save money and lose less wort to absorption. The usual choices are nugget, warrior and magnum for smoother bittering, and chinook if you want it rougher. If you're subbing for a noble hop, you'd want to avoid chinook. If you're locked in to what you have on hand, Mt Hood is probably best. Or you can use whatever you don't think you'll use in something else.

Back