Visible Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemates

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I put together a batch sunday night and I'm not yet seeing bubbles coming out the air lock. It's 4 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket, so there's a bit of headspace, however I can't tell if it's fermenting due to the opaqueness of the bucket. Should I be freaking out yet?

Bubbles in an airlock don't mean fermentation.

Did you take a gravity reading? If not there is no real sure way to tell if there is fermentation. Otherwise you could take a sample and taste it, if it's sweet then it didn't ferment, if it tastes alcoholic then it's probably fermented some.

At what temp did you pitch your yeast? Have you peeked in the bucket yet? Is there a kraeusen?

Revvy seems to float in the ether waiting for an airlock activity question to show up.

The next time I'm looking for his advice on anything I'm going to just begin the thread with a question about my airlock not bubbling and then wait for the lightening to strike.

Haha thanks for taking time to answer my nooby questions.. I took a gravity read and it's progressing as it should. :)

Thanks!
M

Back