Oatmeal/Coffee/Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjvaudreuil

Reaction score
I recently bought a Java Stout kit from midwest brewing. I was planning on adding oats and chocolate as well. There are still several things i'm confused about. 1. how should i add the oast? I don't have an all grain set up and i realize that they would have to be mashed to create fermentables but i'm really only going for the thick body and flavor. can i just steep them with the rest of the grains? 2. I bought unsweetened baker's chocolate. how much, when, and how should I add it? I want a noticable but not overpowering chocolate flavor. 3. what is the best way to add the coffee? I know thats a lot but thanks for the help.

I brewed an extract FBS clone last winter. Oats will contribute something to the beer if you just steep, but if you want that hefty oatmeal stout body, you'd probably want to mash in a bag. I think I used a pound of oats and a pound of two row in a muslin bag, holding temperatures around 150, until an iodine test showed conversion. I used ratios and such from the brew in a bag sticky here on the HBT forums.

Note: this is the only partial mash I've done, so you should probably look up/ask an expert for ideal mash and sparge temperatures for this style if you try this.

As for the coffee and chocolate, I'd suggest looking at BYO's FBS clone. I didn't use it very closely, but people seem to have good results with that one as far as the coffee and chocolate flavors are concerned. I cold extracted the coffee and used hershey's special dark cocoa.

One way you can add the coffers is put ground coffers in brewing bag with fine mesh and once you pull your beer off the heat and give it ice bath you can steep the coffee in it while its cooling then remove when you transfer to your primary ferminter. This is how I did it for my last coffee stout and it won gold at the summer suddz comp in Savanah GA. We let it steep 20min and git a pronounced coffee flavor but you can always do it for less time to get desired effect. Hop this helps
Happy brewing

Mmmm, that sounds so good!!

The recipe I just brewed, a plain old oatmeal stout, called for mashing the grains for 45 minutes at 155 F. I just bought a big nylon bag (I think it was $7) like it calls for in BIAB and put it in my pot while I heated the water to 160. Then I dumped the grained in, ensured the the temp was right, and then put the whole thing with a lid on it in a cardboard box lined with a big towel and covered with a pillow. I stirred it every 15 minutes and had to add a little hot water to it at the last 15 to bring it back up from 149.

Then I rinsed this with a gallon of water I'd heated to 160, brought it all to a boil and proceeded with the rest of the recipe like a non-mash brew, adding LME and all that. I had fully intended to take a hydrometer sample before I diluted the mash water but I forgot all about it.

Hasn't been finished yet but it smelled heavenly. I can't wait till it's ready to drink!

Back