Should i add saaz hops to my beer kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ax89

Reaction score
So i have an ale kit(light), summer ale it is called, now i just ordered 1kg dried malt (spraymalt) to add to the kit as per instructions, i may add 500g of DME and 500gms of syrup, or maybe just the whole 1kg of DME. I also ordered 50g of saaz hops, vacuum sealed. I know saaz hops are used in czech pilsners lagers and it doesn't really make sense to use them in an ale but i wanted to jazz up the kit a bit make it more lagery, how do you think ale kit and saaz hops will go, how should i add the hops, dry hopped, boiled etcc?

What hops come with the kit? Saaz is a nice hop, but unless you are using it with other noble hops, it can get lost.

No hops come with the kit, it's a beer kit, it a tin of pre-hopped malt extract, i just wanted to spice it up, i have been reading an article about doing so, but i wasn't sure if saaz would go well with the tin of extact. At the end of the day it would still be drinkable right?

Yeah, pre-hopped kits are generally lightly hopped, so you should be fine. I'd add 15 gm 15 minutes before the end of the boil and another 15 for the last 5 minutes. Save the rest to dry hop, if you decide you want to.

Back