What ever happened to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
..."Pete's Wicked" beers? I remember they were all over the place in the early '90's when Sam Adams got a foothold. This was back before I knew of any beers other than Molsons or Moosehead, so I never had any. I remember there was a "Strawberry Blonde", but that's about it. Any one had these beers, and how bad were they?

The strawberry blonde isnt too shabby. I still see it on occasion at my local grocery store.
Try a 6er of it. Its a decent beer, but no Stone by any stretch of the imagination!
-Me

The strawberry blonde isnt too shabby. I still see it on occasion at my local grocery store.
Try a 6er of it. Its a decent beer, but no Stone by any stretch of the imagination!
-Me

Hey Joe! Where you been? After razzing you about drinking your HB out of the bottles, that's ALL I do now! It's weird, but my first few batches had a sh*t ton of yeast at the bottom, but the last 10 or so beers I've brewed have almost NO sediment. I can see through the bottom of the bottle. Sorry, I know this was :off: in my own thread.

Strawberry blonde is my absolute favorite. Near impossible to find around here. I've found in little package stores in massachussetts. Usually fill my trunk and bring them all home. Except I just made a clone and its just as good!

Still have Pete's Wicked around here though.

Hey Joe! Where you been? After razzing you about drinking your HB out of the bottles, that's ALL I do now! It's weird, but my first few batches had a sh*t ton of yeast at the bottom, but the last 10 or so beers I've brewed have almost NO sediment. I can see through the bottom of the bottle. Sorry, I know this was :off: in my own thread.

LOL

Ive been around here and there. And gratz on refining your technique to reduce the amount of sediment!

Now you need to get yourself a kegging setup - THAT is where its at IMO. (And using Biermunchers BG method you can bottle when you want to - not cause you have to!)
KEGGING FTW!
-Me

Is it an actual "micro-brew"? I always thought is was a clever name invented by Coors or Bud, but you guys make it sound legit. I'm going to try and find some!

Yeah, I've wondered about Pete's too. I remember it was the usual beer my dad drunk when I was in highschool (it was the Wicked brown ale...had a drawing of Pete Slosberg himself). But I haven't seen it in awhile. Looks like it was bought out by the The Gambrinus Company in 1998: that's probably the last time I saw it (in NC and now GA). I can't remember if it was brewed out West or in Texas back then....but wikipedia does say it's brewed under contract by Matt Brewing Company, which also brews Saranac beers. Speaking of which, when I first came of age for drinking beer, I liked Saranac's black and tan....Saranac beer was all over the place too, and it's been awhile since I've seen it :)

Pete's Brewing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Pete Slosberg himself has also started Cocoa Pete's Chocolate Adventures

If it's brewed by Matt Brewing in Utica, then one should be able to obtain it ANYWHERE in NY. I've not seen it anywhere since the late 90's maybe.

Was it brewed by Matt Brewing? They had a big fire a while back; wonder whether that could have impacted production.

Wikipedia does mention the fire....it happened a year ago, and aparently was at their bottling and canning area. The president of the company mantained that it didn't damage much.

But for me, it's kind of interesting to see how comercial even some microbreweries are getting. Pete's got large enough that Pete himself just decided to sell the business. So when it comes to distribution of Pete's....I can see how it would be made in NY but distributed somewhere else that corporate decides on. At least you NYers have Saranac! It could be worst....you could be like Lynchburg, TN: where Jack Daniels is made and it's a dry county!

I used to see it regularly at the beer distributor near my house but I have not in a while. I stopped buying it anyway. I liked the distinctive bottles (and still have several) but they used the most damnable glue to attach labels. I have NEVER had such a hard time getting labels off. Part of the reason I buy micros is to get the bottles, and it's not like there aren't good local beers in the Philly area.

Pennsylvania, by the way, has yin/yang beer sales laws. You can't buy it in regular grocery stores (with some limited exceptions) - you can only get it as take out in some delis and at bars (I seldom do either). You can also buy or refill growlers at most brew pubs.

OR - you can buy it in cases, generally very reasonably priced, at beer distributors. A minor nuisance because it takes a special stop.

The upside of this is that you know your beer won't be "light-struck" because the cases are of course sealed.

Latest posts

Back