CO2 Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
Just called the local homebrew shop which was the only place that I could find to fill my CO2 tank and the were charging $23. This is the first time I have gotten it filled and I was wondering if this seems high, I thought it was about $10-12. Thanks for any answers.

well you are going to a place that is only specializing in homebrew, try a welding supply shop, a fire & safety place. I paid 16 for a fill for any size between 5-15 lbs, and $15 for a swap out for a 20lb bottle at a diff place.

I pay $20 to fill a 20lb CO2 tank at the local fire extinguisher place. I'm going to have to shop around though. They aren't the fastest bunch.

Brian

I go to a dry ice/CO2 distributor. It's about $13.50 to fill a 5# tank...and $14.50 to fill a 20# tank...so essentially they are the same price. I decided right then and there that I was buying a 20# tank and using the 5# tank as my spare/backup/portable.

Just called the local homebrew shop which was the only place that I could find to fill my CO2 tank and the were charging $23. This is the first time I have gotten it filled and I was wondering if this seems high, I thought it was about $10-12. Thanks for any answers.

Often times the LHBS takes the cylinders to a gas supplier and has them filled. It costs them time & gas for your convenience so in than respect the price is ok. Usually you can take it yourself and find it for $8-10 on the low side and some places I have found want $18. Last time I paid $11

looks like I am getting ripped off... I have been going to this place (I think it's a chain, AirGas) and they charge me $30 bux to swap 5# tanks...

Looks like it's time to call around...

looks like I am getting ripped off... I have been going to this place (I think it's a chain, AirGas) and they charge me $30 bux to swap 5# tanks...

I go to airgas in Austin, TX to get mine filled. I have a 5#, and they fill my canister up (or trade it in, same cost) and it is $12.50.

I think it did go up in the last month or so....by a dollar. But I could be mistaken.

i've found that the farther west in the coultry you go, the less expensive the co2 is.

my company charges $20 for a 5# fill. and its only about $27 for a 20# fill. the price is in the starting of the pump and such.

for some reason the closer you are to Philadelphia and new york its more expensive. the further south and west its cheaper.
i might be wrong in my assumptions, but that seems like the trend to me.

i just know that the $20 i charge for the 5# is very competitive in my area. , plus we are the only local place that will fill your own tank and give it back to you, not switch it out with another one. plus we have on site hydro testing

I pay 16 bucks for a 50#er from a welding gas supply place. They charge $12 for a 5# fill, i guess its more the time to fill it vs the amount of gas. That's why i picked up a 50# tank online as it paid for itself after the first fill. I have a dip-tube in it and a modified paintball fill station that i use to fill my old 5#er.

I live in a rural area and found out they want $21 to fill a 5# and $27 to fill a 20#. So I bought a 20# and kept the 5# for use while filling the empty 20#. Hopefully it will last several 'refill periods'.

You know your in alaska when.....it costs you $34 to fill up your 20# CO2 tank from one of only 2 places in town that will do it........AIRGAS!

Well, calling around got me down to $19.22 which is quite a bit more reasonable then the $31 I have been paying to Airgas...

Thanks guys, I never really put much thought into exactly how much I was paying... :mug:

Here in Seattle at Central Welding a 20lb swap was $22.98.

Quick question, I am looking to get a 5lb tank for N2/CO2 mix but Central Welding quoted me over a $100 for the tank. Any better sources?

BTW, my first batch, an Amber, OG 1.051, is in the fermenter!

I think I paid around 15 for a fill at the local O2 and med gas supplier, Indiana Oxygen. I have a 4lb tank and they are the only place I could find to fill it.

Will be upgrading soon to a 10 pounder and a new regulator soon, hopefully...

By the way, not to hijack the thread, I was wondering who makes a good regulator, and where I can get one for less than 30 bucks.

I pay $18 for 20lb exchange at a hydroponic shop in Pasadena, CA. I'm getting a CO2 transfill kit so I can do transfer to a 5lb tank which goes into my kegerator.

Here in CA I paid $12 to swap my 5LB tank at AirGas in September. I just paid $27 last week to do the same exact swap.

2 months ago I paid $20 to have the 5LB tank filled up at a fire equipment store.

I don't get it. Does the cost of CO2 fluctuate like gasoline, or am I getting ripped off?

Don't we have a problem of too much CO2 in the atmosphere these days? Shouldn't the stuff be dirt cheap by now? :drunk:

Maybe one day we will all have our own little CO2 sequestering setup's outside, just doing our part in the fight against global warming... :mug:

I pay <$5 for a 5# tank out at a rural welding supply shop.. I take him 2 or 3 at a time..

Latest posts

Back