1st timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecompton

Reaction score
My pilsner produced a lot of bubbles in the airlock for the first 4 days now nothing. Did my yeast die?

Fermentation will slow after the first few days. And active bubbles is not the true sign of fermentation.

Let it sit for another week, and take a gravity reading. Then take a gravity reading again a few days later. Once the gravity of your beer is stable, and at or near your estimated Final Gravity, fermentation is complete.

But - just let it sit in your fermenter for 30 days. Then bottle following the directions you have for that. Your kit probably tells you to transfer after 1-2 weeks. Most people on this site will tell you that is too soon.

Probably not. What is you fermention temperature? Compare that to the optimum temperature for the yeast you are using. After 10 days or so start taking gravity readings. I have only done ales and know that the temperature profile for a Pilsner is quite complicated. And that the times at required temperatures take much longer.

Others with more experience will have better advice.

The optimal temp recommendation was 67 degrees which it is consistently kept at. I will continue to keep an eye on it and do a gravity reading in a week or so. I appreciate the comment to keep it for 30 days instead. I'm sure I'm just worried I jacked up my first brew. I've started an ale because they seem to be more forgiving for rookies from what I hear.

Are you brewing this with an ale yeast? A pilsner is a lager unless I am mistaken and requires temperatures just a little above freezing for a period and then a slow rise to another step and then another for finishing????

Good Luck

It's an extract recipe and it tells me this pilsner yeast will ferment as low as 55 but recommends 67? My knowledge so far is reading books and following directions so I hope to learn more if that is inaccurate.

Are you brewing this with an ale yeast? A pilsner is a lager unless I am mistaken and requires temperatures just a little above freezing for a period and then a slow rise to another step and then another for finishing????

Good Luck

Think OP meant that he is ALSO brewing an ale.... not a pils pitched with ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back