mash tun keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenatibrewer

Reaction score
OK here it is. i would like to hear peoples opinions about what type of manifold people use for a keg that is converted to a mash tun. i have one that is very well insulated, but i have been working on manifold designs. i used to use a 10 gallon cooler from home depot. i had a false bottom in it. it seemed to work well but i wanted to use a keg. i just built a 3 tier sculpture. currently i put a 3/4" braided line in the bottom of my mash tun. my concern is the amount of space between the ball valve and the bottom of the keg. using a piece of 1/2 copper and some 45s i have the braided line lining on the bottom of the keg now. i guess the question is will this create a siphon so all or at least most of the wort would be drained? i also fly sparge if that matters. all opinions would be appreciated!!:mug:

bobby,
i checked that thread out. that is what inspired me to do what i did. one difference is that i stopped the copper where your second 90 is.(only mine are 45s) then i attached the braided line to that.
i have a few questions, will it actually siphon and what kind of efficiency can i expect? any information will be appreciated, plus some pics of peoples setups would be cool too.:mug:

So, if you had it to do over again, with your current natural gas setup, would you have the false bottom or that tube design?

No question about it, the false bottom is required (in my opinion) if you want to direct fire the tun. I mean, I know you can stir your mash feverishly if you have thick mash touching the heating surface, but I think back to some RIS and barleywine batches where mash was overflowing the tun and think I'd definitely would have scorched bad.

If I was using the keg as a passive MLT with heating done in a RIMS tube or HERMS coil, I'd go with either the braid over tube design or a smaller false bottom with a bottom drain port.

so i tested out the 1/2" copper pipe leading to the bottom of the keg. it siphoned all but just a very small amount of water out of the keg:mug: it was awesome. i am excited about brewing this weekend to test it out.
on my set up i am not using direct fire. i am going to preheat my tun then add grain and the rest of the water to reach the proper temp. i cannot wait.

by the way how to i add some pictures...i have some i want everyone to take a look at. thanks for all info so far.

Back