trub separation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the easiest and most rudimentary way to seperate your trub is to just stir the wort while it cools, especially if your just using the ice in the sink cooling method. Always stir in the same direction, making a whirl pool. Let it sit for a few minutes, the whirld pool will make the trub settle in the middle. Siphon it off into your primary.

gwb

Trub separation? Are you thinking of yeast washing, or of racking the beer to another container? I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm speaking of pre-fermentation. - separating the trub out of the wort before pitching the yeast. thanks thanks thanks!

Umm... I think you need a bit of clarification here.

Trub is a number of different things. It includes dead yeast, yeast waste products, protein, hot and cold break materials, some live and active yeast, yeast that have fallen out of suspension temporarily but might still remain active, and residual hops if you use pellet hops.

The only way to prevent trub from forming would be to not use pellet hops in your wort, not pitch any yeast, and chill the wort very slowly from boil. Basically, you either have beer and trub, or just wort. I like to drink my hydrometer samples, but I'd never sit down on a Saturday night and drink 6 bottles of unfermented wort.

Umm... I think you need a bit of clarification here.

Trub is a number of different things. It includes dead yeast, yeast waste products, protein, hot and cold break materials, some live and active yeast, yeast that have fallen out of suspension temporarily, but might still remain active, and residual hops if you use pellet hops.

The only way to prevent trub from forming would be to not use pellet hops in your wort, not pitch any yeast, and chill the wort very slowly from boil. Basically, you either have beer and trub, or just wort. I like to drink my hydrometer samples, but I'd never sit down on a Saturday night and drink 6 bottles of unfermented wort.

Ah! Yes indeed! Clarification... I don't mind beer and trub, of a sort. I certainly and easily can handle the trub at the bottom of my frermentors, post fermentation, and am rather glad it is there. : ) Here is a bit more detail of the matter: I have only used pellet hops, and strain them out of my hot wort. I always add irish moss to the last ten minutes of the boil. What I meant by trub, and the separation thereof, is the stuff that coagulates, and settles to the bottom before i pitch the yeast. I'm pretty sure its the hot and/or cold break material. I've seen/heard numerous times that this material is highly recommended to be separated as much as possible, and removed from the wort before pitching yeast.

Thanks, and thanks again!

Ahh, I understand now. Try the whirlpooling method detailed in the BrewWiki here: Whirlpooling - Home Brewing Wiki

Hope this helps, it sure helped me. :mug:

Edited: Proper hot and cold break + wort chiller + whirlpooling + Irish Moss (recommended at 15 minutes) = crystal clear beer, clear enough to rival any commercial brew, and likely to taste much better.

darn_ I was hoping yooper would have given an answer on this one. I was reading another thread on kettle losses and smeone said dump all hop and Hot and cold break material right into the fermenter and that it will all settle out. But wouldn't fermenting all that stuff leave a different end product than leaving it behind?. Ilve always separated it, but then again, I don't have my own recipe book on Brewmasters warehouse.

Back