3rd time's the charm!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandbeergeek

Reaction score
Last night i brewed my third PM. The guy at my LHBS told me i had un-realisticly high efficiency on my past two PM's. So just to test my mashing and sparging I measured pre-LME. Here's what I did:

Cherry Wheat Ale, 5 Gal:
5.5 # 2Row
3# German Wheat (malted?...i forget)
4 oz Carawheat

Mashed in 10 qt @ 120* for 30 min, 150* for 30 min, and after 30 minutes at 158* my iodine still showed starch hadn't converted so i just went ahead and raised it to 168 and sparged with 10qt at 170*

1oz Saaz, bittering 60 min
1 Tbsp irish moss, 45 min
.5 oz Saaz, flavor 25 min

3# Wheat Malt Extract (65%/35%) added at end of boil
Strained into primary with 6# frozen/partially thawed/crushed cherries. Let this hang out at about 160* for half an hour, then chilled and pitched some washed California Ale yeast. I've gotta get into making starters.
I forgot to measure my SG!!!!! :mad:

I was told to only use 3# of cherries in my 8 gallon plastic primary, but i went ahead and used 6#, four less than I originally wanted to. In less than 24 hours i'm at 6 gallons. Is this thing gonna blow it's lid overnight?

Last night i brewed my third PM. The guy at my LHBS told me i had un-realisticly high efficiency on my past two PM's. So just to test my mashing and sparging I measured pre-LME. Here's what I did:

Cherry Wheat Ale, 5 Gal:
5.5 # 2Row
3# German Wheat (malted?...i forget)
4 oz Carawheat

Mashed in 10 qt @ 120* for 30 min, 150* for 30 min, and after 30 minutes at 158* my iodine still showed starch hadn't converted so i just went ahead and raised it to 168 and sparged with 10qt at 170*

1oz Saaz, bittering 60 min
1 Tbsp irish moss, 45 min
.5 oz Saaz, flavor 25 min

3# Wheat Malt Extract (65%/35%) added at end of boil
Strained into primary with 6# frozen/partially thawed/crushed cherries. Let this hang out at about 160* for half an hour, then chilled and pitched some washed California Ale yeast. I've gotta get into making starters.
I forgot to measure my SG!!!!! :mad:

I was told to only use 3# of cherries in my 8 gallon plastic primary, but i went ahead and used 6#, four less than I originally wanted to. In less than 24 hours i'm at 6 gallons. Is this thing gonna blow it's lid overnight?

It might blow it's lid but it's tough to say use a blow off tube if you're worried. I also always heard that fruit was better in the secondary as during the primary the yeast will scrub a lot of the fruit flavors away.

well 3 days later and fermentation is slowed way down and the high point was the 6 gallon mark. Rather than freaking out, i relaxed, didn't worry, and poured a few pints of homebrew. I'm really looking forward to this one!~

Back