which sanitzer to buy.. IO STAR or... STAR SAN?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
buying a couple new recipies to try out and need some sanitzers as well for my 4 courney kegs: lines, fermenter bucket, glass carboys etc... which would you buy? Midwest is selling the IO STAR 32 oz. for 12.50 and the STAR SAN for 17.50?? first glance I wanted the IO STAR because it was cheaper but I just want whats best... Please let me know your thoughts as I want to order them tonight... CHEERS!

buying a couple new recipies to try out and need some sanitzers as well for my 4 courney kegs: lines, fermenter bucket, glass carboys etc... which would you buy? Midwest is selling the IO STAR 32 oz. for 12.50 and the STAR SAN for 17.50?? first glance I wanted the IO STAR because it was cheaper but I just want whats best... Please let me know your thoughts as I want to order them tonight... CHEERS!

What is the mixing ratio? A bottle of Star San would last me years!

1oz of starsan to 5gal water. I typically do just under a half ounce in 2gal for my prepwork. Also if you use distilled water, it will keep in storage premixed for months, use in a spray bottle or whatever.

I agree about starsan. IO-star is their iodine based sanitizer. Iodophors are great, but the foaming action of starsan is great for lines, kegs and hard to reach places. Generally I mix 2 gallons for normal brewing situations, and it does last forever. I also put 2ml in a quart spray bottle with distilled water (it lasts nearly indefinitely) and use it for small use sanitization, like opening fermenters and starter vessels, and taking hydro readings.

star san it is thanks! I am ordering their autum amber ale and their 20 minute traditional stout... also picked up a 6.5 gallon fermentor bucket because i just realized mine had a crack in the side of it... must have happened in the move... (just bought a house). tomorrow I am going to the hardware store to get all new lines because mine have seen better days. Very excited to get started!

1oz of starsan to 5gal water. I typically do just under a half ounce in 2gal for my prepwork. Also if you use distilled water, it will keep in storage premixed for months, use in a spray bottle or whatever.

I should have been more clear...

I use StarSan, so I know that ratio, is it the same with the IO? I always mixed mine with distilled water and stored it, used it in spray bottles... one 32oz bottle lasted me three years!

I mix it a bit strong, 1oz for 2 gallons, but again it lasts quite a long time.

I have a 2 gallon garden sprayer for most of my sanitizing,
from that sprayer I fill my small spray bottles.

i was just comparing these two today and you do mix the same amout. 1 oz for 5 gallons.

I use Star San and everyone says not to fear the foam but that dang stuff never seems to want to disappear from a carboy. It foams a lot.

I need to take a little drink of the star san just to see if i can pick up any taste from it.

i was just comparing these two today and you do mix the same amout. 1 oz for 5 gallons.

I use Star San and everyone says not to fear the foam but that dang stuff never seems to want to disappear from a carboy. It foams a lot.

I need to take a little drink of the star san just to see if i can pick up any taste from it.

you will pick up a case of butt mud if you drink it.

Star-San breaks down in to a yeast nutrient, but if you still feel the urge to taste it make sure that you mix it correctly as it is an acid sanitizer!

I have used Star-San from my second batch and have never looked back!
The ease and the proven results here on this forum alone make it a worthy product.

There is nothing wrong with using and Iodine based sanitizer. but with an Iodine based sanitizer you have a few extra steps and you do need to be aware of people that have an Iodine allergy, SEE HERE.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/star-san-vs-iodophor-fight-3710/

Above are a few discussions on Star-San I hope it helps !

I have 4 courney kegs so what ratio would i use to fill up each prior to brewing a batch?

1 gallon is all I use per keg. Seal the lid, shake it up. Set it upside down for a minute, then right side up. Then push it into the next keg or storage container with co2 and your keg is ready to be filled. Mix it according to the directions.

Back