Cold conditioning temperature- a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
At what temperature should one cold condition their beers after carbonation?

After the beers are fully carbed, I typically (or at least try to) leave them at room temperature for a couple more weeks and then throw them in the fridge for however long I feel like leaving them. I aim for two weeks, sometimes more. Correct me along the way if you've got any suggestions. Throughout this time, I'm sampling of course- a little quality control- to check on the progress.

My question is, at what temperature should I have my fridge at while cold conditioning? My concern is that I might have it set too low. I don't have a built in thermostat so I put a thermometer in to check the temp. I just filled it with beers, so I'm going to give it some time before it reaches it's typical temperature. I'll let you know when I find out, but let me know what you think.

I think it might be set too low because (this may be completely irrelevant) when i crack one of the beers open from this fridge I have happened to notice less carbonation crack sound and there is no head. Granted, there could be other reasons, it's just a correlation I noticed. Could this be something?

Also, one of my beers just doesn't have any head at all. It was in a primary and secondary each for several months and I'm worried the yeast might have fallen asleep along the way and not done their job.

Thanks for the help!:mug:

I dont know if there is a right temp to cold condition. When i lager i walk down three degrees a day to 33 then leave it. I keg, carb and serve at that temp as well.

Latest posts

Back