Can you give me some basic ingredients on how to make a good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peptobismol

Reaction score
I used an improper term in my last thread? Thinking you thought I was going to make shine by saying stilling? I wasn't, I just said that since I felt like using that term. Sorry, anyways can someone give me good basic ingredients on making a decent beer? When I said molasses before to sub for the malt extract. And somebody said bakers yeast is fine to use? Thanks

Thanks, but now I need to know where to get the ingredients. I checked out some sites but didn't know if I should order from them or not. Got any sites I can order from?

Look in the Vendor Showcase forum. Spend a bit of time there and you will soon have learned of many quality on-line shops.

Good Luck and welcome to HBT

Thanks, but now I need to know where to get the ingredients. I checked out some sites but didn't know if I should order from them or not. Got any sites I can order from?

Yellow pages for homebrew is the best thing you can do when you're brand new.

Northernbrewer.com
Austinhomebrew.com
Brewmasterswarehouse.com
Etc

Find someone who makes good beer and apply the knowledge from palmers book with an experienced brewer.

I highly recommend reading a lot of info before starting. It really helps, I promise. I spent about a month reading and reading before buying anything. Personally I found it fun to learn "all" the terms and how brewing works. It helps for confidence. Last thing you want is to start your kit and then realize you don't have any clue if you should cover your pot, or if you should put your priming sugar in with the boil (don't do either!)
As for places to get your ingredients, here are a couple that I have ordered from.
www.midwestsupplies.com (got my brew kit from there)
www.northernbrewer.com (I buy my ingredients from there)
www.austinhomebrew.com (haven't ever bought anything, but heard it's great)
Have you ever gone down to a local brew store? Usually the folks there are really helpful. And if you happen to make good friends, you might be able to convince them to let you do a brew with their equipment. Buy them some delivery pizza or something just to be nice. I am helping out a new brewer in the next week, using my equipment.

Cleveland, kinda of a sh*thole lol

My SWMBO grew up northeast of Cleveland and I won't disagree.:off:

I'm not to familiarity with the Cleveland area LHBS. I can tell you that I have had quite a few of the locals give good reviews of Grape & Granary. This could be quite a drive if you don't live on the east side.

I've ordered from grape and granary before, but I prefer www.midwestsupplies.com myself.

Shipping isnt outrageous and they have a pretty nice stock of stuff.

Pepto, on top of the other advice you've received, I'd recommend getting an equipment kit (assuming you dont have basic proper equipment) and buying a beer kit. You'll make perfectly drinkable beer and have a blast doing it.

Good luck to ya, and welcome!

At the risk of looking like an ass if I'm wrong....

.... Pepto gives off a "13 year old that wants to secretly ferment something in his closet to get trashed on" vibe.

Another place is Warehouse Bevereage on Mayfield, near Green in South Euclid. Wherever you go, be sure to include an extra large order of hometown pride with your purchase.

I'd second that only for the convenience.

I buy all my stuff from there, but that's because I can never plan ahead enough to get my stuff online. They're really nice and helpful (the 3 brothers that run the place), but I'd say their selection isn't great, nor are their prices.

I've never tried JW Dover, but they look like they have a lot more stuff. http://www.jwdover.com/

Good luck and if you ever find a new place in Cleveland, let me know. I'm a Case grad student

I've ordered from grape and granary before, but I prefer www.midwestsupplies.com myself.

Shipping isnt outrageous and they have a pretty nice stock of stuff.

Pepto, on top of the other advice you've received, I'd recommend getting an equipment kit (assuming you dont have basic proper equipment) and buying a beer kit. You'll make perfectly drinkable beer and have a blast doing it.

Good luck to ya, and welcome!

I also second midwestsupplies. I've only bought equipment from them and they seem to have the best prices around. I've staggered 4 orders from them day after day and they have always arrived ground in 2 days, even on Saturday. Their website isn't as modern as a lot of the newer ones, but you really can't beat great customer service and great prices.

I've been in JW Dover, Grape and Granary, and Leeners. I really didn't find anything wrong with any of the 3 - although I tend to prefer the selection at Grape and Granary although it is a bit farther from me. I pass Leeners on my way home from work, so I've often stopped if there's something I need. Everyone was very friendly in all 3.

That said, I'm pretty partial to Austin Homebrew Supply. I like Forrest's kits that I've used and have used them as the building blocks to tweak a bit and wander off trying my own creations as I've started to play with designing some of my own beers.

Considering its your first go at this, i suggest you get a recipe kit from somewhere for your first time and follow the very simple directions that they give you with the kit. you are more likely to have a good tasting beverage after all is said and done.

Latest posts

Back