All Centennial IPA is good, Imperial IPA great?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsstory182

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew an Imperial IPA so I've been looking for a good receipe. I recently had an all centennial IPA and I really liked it. If an all centennial IPA is good, wouldn't an all centennial Imperial IPA be great? I'm fairly new to brewing, brewing since last summer so I'm not sure about it. I've been looking at recipes and they usually call for a few different hops. Does this sound like a good idea or should I stick to one of the recipes. This is what I was thinking for an extract:

8 lbs LME
4 lbs extra light dme
2 lbs cane sugar or dextrose?
1 lbs wheat dme
1/2 lbs 2 row
1 lbs gambrinus honey
1/2 lbs briess victory

2 oz centennial 60min
1 1/2 oz centennial 45 min
1 1/2 oz centennial 30 min
1 1/2 oz centennial 15 min
1 1/2 oz centennial 10 min
1 1/2 oz centennial 2 min
1 1/2 oz centennial 0 min
1 oz centennial dry hopped

I found a recipe and tweaked it a little bit, any pointers would be awesome

ok a few questions,

Wheat DME?

I see a few grains in there you just going to steep those ?

I would run away screaming form that much Cane sugar- cidery off flavors galore

here is an Recipe I put together using beersmith from your list.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Centennial IIPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.77%
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 61.54%
8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (45 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:this is just an Idea

I hope it helps

-Jason

a lil note to add if you were to use all the items in your original post, Beersmith predicts

O.G. 1.127
ABV of 14-16%

IBU's 124.5
SRM 11.5 (color)

that would be a very big beer, and getting that to ferment out would be very tough

you can download beersmith and try their free trial. It has been one of my best brewing investments ever!!!!

I would skip the sugar and the wheat DME (unless you already have the wheat DME and just need to get rid of it). Wheat DME is actually 60% wheat 40% barley so it won't make much of a difference anyways. Especially with the honey and victory malt. The hop schedule looks great.

I agree with these guys about the wheat DME, but I don't see a problem with some sugar to dry it out. A beer this big will need some help fermenting well enough. Although, I'd consider taking the cane sugar/dextrose down a peg to 1lb.

Also, are you going to mash the 1/2 of 2-row or steep?

The hops schedule looks great. Seems like it's on the order of a bigger Two Hearted Ale, which should be delicious.

I don't see a problem with some sugar to dry it out. A beer this big will need some help fermenting well enough. Although, I'd consider taking the cane sugar/dextrose down a peg to 1lb.
+1. With a beer that big I think it would be advantageous to have some sugar in there. 1 or 1.5 pounds should do.
Seems like it's on the order of a bigger Two Hearted Ale, which should be delicious.
Yeah. Maybe you should call it "Three Hearted Ale". :D

I would say this is a bit too big, at 1.1 OG it will not dry out and a good Imperial IPA needs to dry out.

As for the hops..I would skip a few lat aditions and have 2 ounces Dry Hop..this beer needs a big dry hop.

J

Thanks guys. I think I will take it down to 1 lb of the dextrose and skip out on the wheat. Maybe I should make it and even pound of hops and just dry hop 2 oz without taking any of the others away. I planned letting this sit until around august or so, hopefully that's enough time to age it. I think I will get beersmith or something like it, seems really usefully. Thanks for your help, I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Oh and on the 2 row, I was just steeping these grains. I heard Forrest from AHS say that they add 2 row to all their receipes bc it helps bring out the flavor. I figured it couldn't hurt

Latest posts

Back