Abbey SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigd

Reaction score
Local shop had some abbey malt and after a little taste I was intrigued so I'm going to do a SMaSH. Specs look a lot like a mid-range Munich and looks like it should convert itself. It may be over-the-top bready but we'll see. I'm going with Hallertauer for hops and Wyeast Trappist Ale for yeast. Anyone else try to smash this malt?

I almost bought a half-sack during my club's last group buy, but some goofs were made and I didn't get it.

Weyermann's malt analysis sheet is also oddly sparse.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it though... give us an update when you can!

Never ended up doing a true smash with it but I did do an Abbey Ale with it as the bulk of the mash. I did 10lb abbey ale, 5 lb belgian pils, and 2lb sucrose. 1 addition of Hallertauer to 18 IBUs. It is a very malty beer and came out a wonderful color. I'd say the bread crusty flavor is a tad high and doing this beer again I might reverse the percentages of pils and abbey but will definitely use this in another belgian brew. It goes very well with the fruity yeast aromas of Wyeast Trappist Ale. It would work very well in a dubbel with some Special B in the mix also.

A pic of the Abbey Ale brew:

2012_0211AE.JPG
[/IMG]

Hi!

I bought some Weyermann Abbey Malt lately, because I thought it was similar to Munich and could be used as the main part of the grist. However, after I checked the info sheet I realised that it can only be used up to 50%.

The only other base malt I have on hand is a diastatic wheat. Do you think I can use 50% of each and get full conversion? It is meant to be a moderate gravity belgian beer, and I will be fermenting with Wyeast 3711 - french saison.

Thanks!

Back