Cider isn't fermenting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splobucket

Reaction score
How is this even possible? I followed this recipe:

http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1073

I toss the yeast in and nothing. I mean nothing. Now I just realized that I didn't dissolve the brown sugar which is pretty stupid on my part. But I'm still not getting any fermentation. Just measured my O.G. at 1.06, right on the money. Isn't the cider itself fermentable?

Yeah it's been really cold, but we're keeping our house at 68. So the ferm temp is correct.

Did you bring the cider in from outside? A cold corner or something can put it under 60 pretty quick. The only way to tell for sure is to measure the cider temp with a meat thermometer or something.

If it is cold, try to move it to a warmer spot and it should take off when it warms back up.

Did you use store bought cider? It could be preservatives stopping the yeast. . .

I have ran into that twice and one time was a pulpy jug of cider sitting on the top shelf of the deli section. The other was a 'cocktail' frozen concentrate.

well there really is two categories. . . you killed the yeast (doesn't seem like that is true, if you didn't dissolve all the brown sugar surely it wasn't hot enough to kill yeast) or the yeast was already dead.

If you have the jug still, look at the ingredients. What does it say? From what you've said so far, the most likely culprit is preservatives in the juice.

I don't have the jugs... has anyone done any research into what preservatives specifically stops the fermentation?

Back