Just pre-ordered some rhizomes, here's my plan, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered a pretty good selection of hops that I am going to try and grow this this. I ordered from the Thyme Garden and I got CENTENNIAL, Chinook, Magnum, Willamette and 2 Cascades.

I have a mound of dirt in the back yard that I am planning on using that will get the maximum amount of sun.

I am going to get a tall 4x4, hopefully taller than 10ft, dig a hole and support either in a concrete buck or something, screw in a large eye bolt to the top that I will tie the twine to and bring it down at an angle to the locations where the rhizomes will be planted.

Am hoping it looks something like this: http://www.freshops.com/grow31.gif

I have a hose hookup near by that I will run a hose over to the dirt patch and dig a mini-trench to bury the hose so it's not on the law all summer and then hook up a drip irrigation system.

They say to not expect much the first year, but I take it that means you can't move them because they are building their root system so I better make sure I like this location.

When I first plannted my hops I made the mistake of putting the different variety plants close together (4 feet?). After the second season I couldn't differentiate one from the other at the end of the season. Once they stop growing up, they start filling in. I would think that the setup in that picture would be best if it was all one variety of plant. Even though you have them running up different lines, they will grow out and become high maontenance at the end of the season in that setup. If you put a post in, I would think about putting an X at the top of the pole and hanging lines froom the tips if the X. If that makes sense...

Good luck!

When I first plannted my hops I made the mistake of putting the different variety plants close together (4 feet?). After the second season I couldn't differentiate one from the other at the end of the season. Once they stop growing up, they start filling in. I would think that the setup in that picture would be best if it was all one variety of plant. Even though you have them running up different lines, they will grow out and become high maontenance at the end of the season in that setup. If you put a post in, I would think about putting an X at the top of the pole and hanging lines froom the tips if the X. If that makes sense...

Good luck!

That does make sense. I will definitely have to put some serious support underground to support the weight. I could also do 2 posts and have a string between them and go up to it, but the thing is that I would need like 30ft to space them properly and I don't have nearly that much.

I will figure it out though, it gives me something to do this summer besides all the other stuff that will take my weekends up.

Ok, I am thinking a new design of putting 2 - 2x6s glued and nailed together. I want to do this because they have 2x6s that are 16' long. Then get a homer bucket from HD and put one end of the now 4x6 in and fill with concrete.

At the top, I will make a + symbol with 2 - 2x4x8' boards that are supported on the bottom with a 45 degree angle with 2 miter cuts on it.

That This screw in the big eye screws into the end. This will be give 4 locations about 13-14ft off the ground to plant different varieties even though I have 5. I will probably squeeze on up the center

3 ft of the 16' wood will be in the ground and it is also on a slope and will be about a 1 above the rhizomes too with will give me 14ft to climb I am hoping.

The idea is similar to this, but with 2 boards on the top creating a + sign.
Basement Brewing: A Hop Trellis Design For Growing Hops In The Back Yard

THat's kind of what I was thinking about, but it will be a stout structure that's there year round. I just read Anrdej's post about his hops trellis design and it is inspiring. You should take a look. Maybe if you had some guy wires holding up the pole instead of permanently anchoring it. But your design looks good . I've got plants running up the side of my house and they make a beautiful blanket of green in the late summer and fall. You will like the results.

Well I am planning on building a trellis around the hops that are now in the ground. The area that I am working with is around all the pool pumps and PVC lines running to the pool.

To say the least I am a little paranoid about busting a pipe or something. This trellis is going to hide the pumps and filters and also give the hops something to climb. My idea was to get 3 - 4"x4"x16' pressure treated boards, put 3 ft of it in the ground with some quick cement about 6-7 feet apart.

I have now decided to go down to the 12' board as I think 13' sticking up is just took much for the neighbors and the SWMBO.

Anyways, does anyone have a good simple design for a layout like this? I was thinking of running pressure treated 2x4s horizontal at 3 points throughout the height and then cutting 2x4s in half creating 2x2s to run vertical connecting to the horizontal 2x4s.

What do you think?

I could not install the drawing program from Google so here is my childrens drawing of what I am thinking.

trellis.jpg

Back