Newb Question - Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
I'm fixing to order my homebrew kit from High Gravity. Should I go ahead and order a carboy to keep me from buying one down the road? If I understand it leaves the sediment in the first container instead of bottling it.

I've also read where some people prefer plastic over glass. Is it just because of issues with breaking?

As far as leaving the sediment in the original bucket goes, you will be bottling from anther bucket cleverly named a bottling bucket so you will remove the beer from the trub (stuff on the bottom) before it hits the bottles. You use a carboy for as a 'secondary' to age or lager the beer for 2 to three weeks depending on the type of beer. Research the beers you think you will be brewing to find out if they really benefit from a secondary (stuff like wheat beers don't really). A secondary usually helps flavors come together and to clear the beer (depending on temp). If you plan on making true lagers, you'll probably want one. Glass or plastic is preference, I use glass because I like the classic feel of it :) Welcome to the forums!

Nooo problem, just make sure you are getting a bottling bucket in your kit to actually remove the beer from the yeast cake. That is also the bucket that you will mix in your priming sugar. Also, a secondary, although not necessary in a lot of brews, just makes for a smoother brew if you are up for being pacient. Enjoy!

Well - you WILL sooner or later buy a carboy or two . . . or three if you enjoy making beer.

The problem is once you make your first batch you will have nothing to do but site around waiting so you will want to make a second batch to take your mind of the first one.

once #2 is finished you will STILL be waiting so a third batch is in order and once that is down it's time to rack the 1st batch . . . . . and on and on.

Welcome to the forum - a great group of people here!!

the 'plastic' Better Bottles are also significantly lighter than the glass ones. 5 gallons of wort is about 40-45 lbs. the glass carboy adds...I dunno 7-10lbs to that, vs like a half pound for the better bottle.

that said, I use glass because they don't scratch easily like better bottles can, IF you aren't careful. I can get a little aggressive when cleaning...

Back