Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this for my summer brew. Ran out with two weeks to go before labor day. Turned out amazing and tasted great!

Gotta say tho, for me anyway, it gave me some room clearing gas the next day. :eek:

Great stuff! Definitely going to make it again.

I've made several 5 gal. batches of this recipe and it has been universally well received. I love it on a hot, dry afternoon. Right now I have another batch boiling but ran out of Crystal hops. I am subbing some Mt. Hood. Also using harvested WLP-080 Cream Ale yeast (1L starter). Will post results in a few weeks.

Brewed this today with a little bit of tweaking. 5 gallon batch I did:

5.5lb Rahr two-row
1.5lb Flaked Corn
1lb Flaked Rice
1oz Saaz 3.5% AA (60 min)
0.25oz Cascade 6.2% AA (60 min)

The hop change was simply to use some hops I had on hand. OG came out to 1.048, which by my system equates to 83% brewhouse efficiency, 2 points over my normal 81% but well within range. Safale US05 yeast. Will report back once it's all done and in the glass with pics, final OG, and tasting notes. I'm not too much a BMC fan but do like some Miller beers like Genuine Draft and am also a huuuge fan of Asahi, so looking forward to it.

One thing I have to ask... out of all my beers so far (72 or so batches) this one seemed to require the most vorflaufing. I vorlaufed like 4-5 times for the runoff and two sparge runoffs before I could get it mostly clear of grain/solid bits. But, it's also my first time using corn and rice. This common?

Anyhow, looking good! Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher! :mug:

Rev.

One thing I have to ask... out of all my beers so far (72 or so batches) this one seemed to require the most vorflaufing. I vorlaufed like 4-5 times for the runoff and two sparge runoffs before I could get it mostly clear of grain/solid bits. But, it's also my first time using corn and rice. This common?

You've put an interesting twist on the recipe and I, for one, will follow to see how it turns out for you. I've made this beer several times and I guess it does take a bit more time to vourlauf properly. Hadn't really thought much of it until you mentioned it. Have no clue as to why. It might be interesting to read comments from others who might know. BTW, do you use a grant for your vourlauf?

Judging by your tastes I'll bet you'll like this beer. I find it to be light and refreshing but still carries all of the character of a craft brew. Definitely post your tasting notes!

Cheers! :mug:

Hiya Puddle, not sure what a grant is I must confess. For vorlaufing I've just been using a measuring cup to collect the runnings then press the edge and lip tightly up against the mash tun wall and slowly pouring it back in on top of the grain bed while moving it slowly to disperse around the circumference. I'll definitely post pics once it's in the glass with the tasting notes. I know all too many people say they'll post pics and never bother to come back and do so, but I will. Here it is in the kettle for now:

Rev.

COTC.jpg

Hiya Puddle, not sure what a grant is I must confess. For Vorlaufing I've just been using a measuring cup to collect the runnings then press the edge and lip tightly up against the mash tun wall and slowly pouring it back in on top of the grain bed while moving it slowly to disperse around the circumference.

You're following the procedure I think most home brewers follow and it works fine. A grant is an intermediate container into which you drain the mash tun at a steady rate. The grant I use for my 5 gallon system is a 6 qt. stainless bucket with a ball valve installed to permit rapid draining. (I'm out of town right now but will post some pics when I get home in a couple days.)

The idea is that the best vourlauf results will be obtained if you can drain the tun at a steady rate without the interruption caused by closing and opening the drain valve. So you use the intermediate container to drain the tun without disturbing the valve setting. When the grant is near full you drain it off as rapidly as needed and return that wort to the tun as vourlauf. When the wort is running clear connect a drain hose to the grant and let it drain into the boil kettle. You never touch the drain valve on the tun until it is empty.

It's a little piece of extra hardware, probably completely unnecessary for home brewing but always present in a professional setup. I built mine last winter and use it all the time now. Lengthens the brew session a tad but I find it satisfying so I do it. I think it improves the process.

Cheers! :mug:

Planning on brewing a 5-gal batch of this this weekend...going to buy ingredients tomorrow...I do 5 gallon BIAB batches for now...hopefully this my last BIAB batch before I get my cooler mash tun built...

Also planning on this being my first kegged batch...was considering bottling 12 beers and kegging the rest or perhaps kegging and force carbing and then pulling 12 bottles off the keg

The reason for bottling a portion is because the keg will be in my dads kegerator 20min away...

Anyways...

5 gallon batch going to cut everything on the OP'S recipe in half and add Irish moss with 10- min left in boil and let sit in primary for 3 weeks and force carb in keg...hoping for a very clear beer that my GMC drinking dad will enjoy

Brewed 11 gallons of this on 9/13/2014, split into two 6.5G carboys. Decided since this is such a light beer to try S-04 and US-05 side by side to really see the differences.

Here are my notes from the process in case it is beneficial somehow for anyone:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewday (9/13/2014)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mashed in at 152, held for a while but by the end of the 90 minute mash had fallen to 147. Recirculated for last 10 minutes of mash, ended up with stuck sparge on first runnings twice from recirc/draining tun too fast, stiring/recirculating solved issue, rice hulls needed for this recipe next time. Sparged with no issues, two batch sparges, drained slowly to avoid stuck sparge, worked well.

Preboil volume just at 14.7G.

Sanitized CFC by recirculating boiling wort last 10 minutes of boil after rinsing with clean water.

Used CFC to recirculate wort to get it down to 140F in brew kettle. CFC (no pre/post chiller) brought wort from 140F to 83F in single pass.

Seperated wort into two 6.5 gallon carboys, filling each to 5.5 gallons, about 1.5 gallons of wort left in brew kettle.

Placed in chest freezer set to 40F to drop from 83F to 65F.

Brewday + 1 Day (9/14/2014)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chilled to 65 in chest freezer set to 40F over night, pitched rehydrated US-05/S-04 the next day (9/14/2014) at 14:15 after 90 seconds of pure O2.

One note about rehydration, I absent mindedly shook the yeast in the water right after pouring rather than waiting the 15 minutes per directions. Since I had done this to the first yeast (US-05), I did this as well to the second, to ensure experiment similarity.

At 20:00 (+6 hours after pitch) the S-04 had solid krausen forming, US-05 had nothing. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 64.6F.

Brewday + 2 Days (9/15/2014)

At 07:00 (+17 hours after pitch) S-04 had solid krausen, brown formation on white, US-05 still nothing. Constant airlock activity from S-04, no airlock activity on US-05. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.5F.

At 17:00 (+27 hours after pitch) S-04 continues to have krausen and constant airlock activity. US-05 just starting to show signs of krausen development.

At 21:00 (+31 hours after pitch) S-04 activity continues. US-05 finally has decent white krausen, no brown formation.

Brewday + 3 Days (9/16/2014)

At 07:00 (+41 hours after pitch) S-04 activity continues. US-05 krausen has brown formation. Solid airlock activity on both. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.6F.

At 21:30 (+55.5 hours after pitch) S-04 krausen completely fallen, minor airlock activity. US-05 activity continues. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.1F.

Brewday + 15 Days (9/28/2014)

Most of US-05 krausen had fallen, scheduled fermentation time has passed so dropped fermentation chamber temperature to 36F to cold crash before kegging.

Brewday + 17 Days (9/30/2014)

US-05 krausen completely gone. S-04 carboy probe is measuring 38.5F.

Brewday + 19 Days (10/02/2014)

After 4+ day cold crash at 38.5F, racked beers into kegs. S-04 finished at 1.010, US-05 finished at 1.008.

S-04 tastes very good. Slight fruitiness, might be a little sour apple off flavor, could just be the English esters of S-04.

US-05 tastes similar to S-04 batch but minus the fruity esters.

Brewday + 29 Days (10/12/2014)

Allowed both kegs to carb at 12PSI for 10 days. Took samples of both:

Colors and aromas are exactly the same.

Clarity is about the same, maybe S-04 being slightly clearer as of now, most likely due to the finishing and yeast dropping out much faster.

US-05 (recipe yeast) has a nice clean flavor up front. Very light in body (expected from cream ales and especially with a FG of 1.008), but still has some substance. Very slight hint of fruity right before the finish. Excellent light beer, my BMC friends are gonna love this.

S-04 (test yeast) is very similar to US-05 in initial taste. Body should be slightly more as FG was 2 points higher, but I cannot detect. After the initial taste, the similarities end. I had read that English yeasts can bring out more esters and off flavors, but this beer is a diacetyl bomb, butter popcorn overload. I did not pick up this flavor at all in hydro samples, nor is it present in the US-05 batch. We'll see how it ages, I do not have much hope, right now it is pretty much undrinkable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is definitely a tasty beer, really going to enjoy drinking the US-05 batch, had 2 pints last night. I will definitely NOT be making another batch using S-04 again. Will probably try the Kolsch yeast next time.

Here is a pic of the US-05 beer!

creamale-batch1-e1413563850613.jpg

I never would have thought S04 required a diacetyl rest, with ferm temp of 65. I thought D-rest was only when doing lager yeasts/temps.

Brewed 11 gallons of this on 9/13/2014, split into two 6.5G carboys. Decided since this is such a light beer to try S-04 and US-05 side by side to really see the differences.

Here are my notes from the process in case it is beneficial somehow for anyone:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewday (9/13/2014)

Mashed in at 152, held for a while but by the end of the 90 minute mash had fallen to 147. Recirculated for last 10 minutes of mash, ended up with stuck sparge on first runnings twice from recirc/draining tun too fast, stiring/recirculating solved issue, rice hulls needed for this recipe next time. Sparged with no issues, two batch sparges, drained slowly to avoid stuck sparge, worked well.

Preboil volume just at 14.7G.

Sanitized CFC by recirculating boiling wort last 10 minutes of boil after rinsing with clean water.

Used CFC to recirculate wort to get it down to 140F in brew kettle. CFC (no pre/post chiller) brought wort from 140F to 83F in single pass.

Seperated wort into two 6.5 gallon carboys, filling each to 5.5 gallons, about 1.5 gallons of wort left in brew kettle.

Placed in chest freezer set to 40F to drop from 83F to 65F.

Brewday + 1 Day (9/14/2014)

Chilled to 65 in chest freezer set to 40F over night, pitched rehydrated US-05/S-04 the next day (9/14/2014) at 14:15 after 90 seconds of pure O2.

One note about rehydration, I absent mindedly shook the yeast in the water right after pouring rather than waiting the 15 minutes per directions. Since I had done this to the first yeast (US-05), I did this as well to the second, to ensure experiment similarity.

At 20:00 (+6 hours after pitch) the S-04 had solid krausen forming, US-05 had nothing. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 64.6F.

Brewday + 2 Days (9/15/2014)

At 07:00 (+17 hours after pitch) S-04 had solid krausen, brown formation on white, US-05 still nothing. Constant airlock activity from S-04, no airlock activity on US-05. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.5F.

At 17:00 (+27 hours after pitch) S-04 continues to have krausen and constant airlock activity. US-05 just starting to show signs of krausen development.

At 21:00 (+31 hours after pitch) S-04 activity continues. US-05 finally has decent white krausen, no brown formation.

Brewday + 3 Days (9/16/2014)

At 07:00 (+41 hours after pitch) S-04 activity continues. US-05 krausen has brown formation. Solid airlock activity on both. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.6F.

At 21:30 (+55.5 hours after pitch) S-04 krausen completely fallen, minor airlock activity. US-05 activity continues. Temp probe in S-04 carboy reads 65.1F.

Brewday + 15 Days (9/28/2014)

Most of US-05 krausen had fallen, scheduled fermentation time has passed so dropped fermentation chamber temperature to 36F to cold crash before kegging.

Brewday + 17 Days (9/30/2014)

US-05 krausen completely gone. S-04 carboy probe is measuring 38.5F.

Brewday + 19 Days (10/02/2014)

After 4+ day cold crash at 38.5F, racked beers into kegs. S-04 finished at 1.010, US-05 finished at 1.008.

S-04 tastes very good. Slight fruitiness, might be a little sour apple off flavor, could just be the English esters of S-04.

US-05 tastes similar to S-04 batch but minus the fruity esters.

Brewday + 29 Days (10/12/2014)

Allowed both kegs to carb at 12PSI for 10 days. Took samples of both:

Colors and aromas are exactly the same.

Clarity is about the same, maybe S-04 being slightly clearer as of now, most likely due to the finishing and yeast dropping out much faster.

US-05 (recipe yeast) has a nice clean flavor up front. Very light in body (expected from cream ales and especially with a FG of 1.008), but still has some substance. Very slight hint of fruity right before the finish. Excellent light beer, my BMC friends are gonna love this.

S-04 (test yeast) is very similar to US-05 in initial taste. Body should be slightly more as FG was 2 points higher, but I cannot detect. After the initial taste, the similarities end. I had read that English yeasts can bring out more esters and off flavors, but this beer is a diacetyl bomb, butter popcorn overload. I did not pick up this flavor at all in hydro samples, nor is it present in the US-05 batch. We'll see how it ages, I do not have much hope, right now it is pretty much undrinkable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is definitely a tasty beer, really going to enjoy drinking the US-05 batch, had 2 pints last night. I will definitely NOT be making another batch using S-04 again. Will probably try the Kolsch yeast next time.

Here is a pick of the US-05 beer!

creamale-batch1.jpg

Excellent notes! Thanks for the input. Im also surprised that the SO4 would have diacytal. Btw, how do you keep the beer from pouring outta the glass?? ;)

balrog said:
I never would have thought S04 required a diacetyl rest, with ferm temp of 65. I thought D-rest was only when doing lager yeasts/temps.

Me either, or else I would have done one. I've fermented beers with S-04 before and not had this, heck I've got a stout going right now with some of the slurry from this batch. I wonder if the S-04 just really brought out the flaked corn flavor and that is what I'm picking up on.

Flavor is definitely there though, I gave the SWMBO, who to my knowledge has no previous diacetyl experience, a taste who, after giving me a very disgusted face, asked..."is there butter in that"?

Excellent notes! Thanks for the input. Im also surprised that the SO4 would have diacytal. Btw, how do you keep the beer from pouring outta the glass?? ;)

Thanks! Odd thing is I did not get the diacetyl flavors in my hydro samples, had some fruity flavors, but no butter. The 5 US-05 gallons are definitely going to go quick, not sure what I'm gonna to with the S-04 keg except take samples for a couple weeks. Also, its a magic glass, very rare, special order (fixed :)).

Has anyone tried adding some speciality malts to the grain bill? I know the body and taste is fairly light but I'm wondering if a little bit of 20L or biscuit might do well in a lighter beer.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried adding some speciality malts to the grain bill? I know the body and taste is fairly light but I'm wondering if a little bit of 20L or biscuit might do well in a lighter beer.

Any thoughts?

I have done this with a third of the 2-row replaced with Vienna and it was great

nice touch of biscuit flavor

S_M

I've made a number of batches of this recipe and all have been universally well received. It has earned a permanent place in the first tap of my 4 tap keezer. I see no reason to tamper with the recipe other than to experiment with various hops as you may have available. US05, BRY-97, WLP-001 and WLP-080 have all rendered wonderfully drinkable beers. From my experience this recipe is excellent as-is and is also adaptable to a few well thought out tweaks.

I have done this with a third of the 2-row replaced with Vienna and it was great

nice touch of biscuit flavor

S_M

Glad to hear it! I think I'll follow the original recipe first then throw a little 20L or 40L into it on the next batch to see if I can get a little of that sweet light caramel taste into it while keeping it nice and light in body.

I'll definitely be brewing up a batch tomorrow. This recipe makes me pretty excited because AG ingredients are pretty expensive to ship up in north east Alberta (80$+ CDN for 2 row with shipping), I can get all the corn and rice at wal-mart on the cheap and from what everyone else says its a crowd pleaser. I always find myself trying to make a Nut Brown or German Lager to convince my friends to get into brewing when all they want to drink is Coors or Bud.

Glad to hear it! I think I'll follow the original recipe first then throw a little 20L or 40L into it on the next batch to see if I can get a little of that sweet light caramel taste into it while keeping it nice and light in body.

I'll definitely be brewing up a batch tomorrow. This recipe makes me pretty excited because AG ingredients are pretty expensive to ship up in north east Alberta (80$+ CDN for 2 row with shipping), I can get all the corn and rice at wal-mart on the cheap and from what everyone else says its a crowd pleaser. I always find myself trying to make a Nut Brown or German Lager to convince my friends to get into brewing when all they want to drink is Coors or Bud.

I am drinking my fifth 11.5 gallon brew of this recipe, cheap easy and quick to brew

only gets better and better in the keg, goes from grain to glass in 14 days

all the best

S_M

EDIT this is my seventh brew of this recipe since 3/2014

Last edited:
I am drinking my fifth 11.5 gallon brew of this recipe, cheap easy and quick to brew

only gets better and better in the keg, goes from grain to glass in 14 days

all the best

S_M

EDIT this is my seventh brew of this recipe since 3/2014

I envy anyone who has a metabolism that let's them drink nearly 80 gallons of beer in 7 months!

Just brewed this a few days ago and everything is going well in the primary. I must say it was some of the clearest wort I have ever gotten after using my wort chiller. Maybe because of how little grain is actually in the bill?

I don't have a hole lot for yeast so I used Nottingham on this one. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Super easy and simple brew day over all.

Lhbs was out of flaked corn so I suppose between the byo article I just read, advice from one of the employees @ said LHBS and YouTube I get to learn how to cereal mash frozen corn

Lhbs was out of flaked corn so I suppose between the byo article I just read, advice from one of the employees @ said LHBS and YouTube I get to learn how to cereal mash frozen corn

Would whole feed corn be prepared this way as a substitute for flaked?

I was told I could use frozen corn I assume he meant off the cob...I have since done alittle research and am going with instant grits to eliminate the need for cereal mashing...

I just hope I can avoid too much of a corn taste going with 5 gallon batch

6lbs breiss 2 row
2 lbs instant grits
1lb instant rice

.5 oz williamette
.5 oz of hallertau

Both hop additions at 60 minutes

Us-05 pitched dry

Planning on 3 weeks in primary keg and force carb

Hoping for a very clear bmc similar beer for my father and also to get my first venture into kegging under my belt

BIAB with no wort chiller and on the kitchen stove takes so long and I work 7 days a week 3rd shift 10-14 hours so I'm having trouble finding time to get this done

We're currently serving my 5th or 6th batch of this recipe and it remains the beer on the #1 tap of my 4 tap keezer. This last batch we varied things a bit and the result was, IMO, excellent.

WLP-080 Cream Ale Blend yeast (slurry from last batch -w/1L starter)
Substituted Mt. Hood for Crystal hops

The beer needed at least a week in the keg after a 2 week fermentation for the flavors to settle down. Now it is perhaps our favorite iteration of the recipe. The Mt Hood brings a depth of flavor and a flavor profile to the finished beer that we find very enjoyable.

Thanks to Biermuncher for this excellent and extremely versatile recipe!

Brew on and cheers! :mug:

Finally found the time to brew this..I can't wait until I have a wort chiller, burner, and mash tun so I can accelerate my brew day this one took roughly 7 1/2 hours

1414972732213.jpg

Not sure I needed the blowoff tube for this batch...very little if anything ever made it to the glass of water. I also wasn't very happy with the way the racking cane fit the bung hopefully no wild yeast took a foothold on my beer.

On another note I installed the airlock and I simply can't believe how much this beer has lightened up in just one day. I'm fermenting a bit on the warm side the ambient temperature in the cabinet is 75*. I may try the cold wet t-shirt idea and maybe place some ice bottles in there. I really don't have the means/space for a swamp cooler.

you wort maybe as hot as 80 and if you are using 05 it might not be good

I'll definitely get a cool wet towel or something on it in the morning in that case.

I don't know if frozen water bottles in there will cool the ambient temperature or not I guess its worth a shot though.

Well my house must've cooled down, because the ambient temp around fermenter is now 70* even

Just had a response to another thread about DMS and boiling with the lid on...I hope I didn't ruin my cream ale because I did boil with the lid on (had never heard this before):banghead::thumbdown::mad:

Anybody run a secondary with this? With hunting season and such its going to be another couple weeks before I get the kegerator converted over to ball lock and pocess a corny keg so I'm thinking the beer has been in primary in the better bottle for 3 weeks on the 23rd of this month.

I'm thinking I could rack it to my fermentation bucket for the final two weeks of clearing...I'm already planning on adding gelatin to the keg but I want it to be crystal clear like some of the pints I seen pictured on here. For the intended audience it needs to have a "bmc clear" look

Anybody run a secondary with this? With hunting season and such its going to be another couple weeks before I get the kegerator converted over to ball lock and pocess a corny keg so I'm thinking the beer has been in primary in the better bottle for 3 weeks on the 23rd of this month.

I'm thinking I could rack it to my fermentation bucket for the final two weeks of clearing...I'm already planning on adding gelatin to the keg but I want it to be crystal clear like some of the pints I seen pictured on here. For the intended audience it needs to have a "bmc clear" look

Why not jus set it somewhere cool or cold, leave it in the primary, and leave it? Put a black tshirt or a jacket over it to keep it dark. Have fun hunting!!

Well, I work third shift and like my bedroom cold and that's where I ferment...its cool and dark all day in the cabinet where the better bottle is.

I'm really fighting the temptation to bottle it because if I were to bottle it I could try it in a week. But it's my thought that it won't be as clear. Not to mention this just seems like it is SUPPOSED to be a draft beer.

Anybody run a secondary with this?

Just racked a 5 gal. fermeneter into secondary tonight. No empty kegs and the keezer is full. Put the secondary in a cool, dark closet to set and wait until I have room for it or get around to bottling.

The one thing we have come to around here is that this is an excellent hot weather beer. But with the onset of cooler temps the demand for it has dropped considerably. We're drinking stouts, porters and red wine around here a lot more these days. Thinking we may just end up bottling this batch up and storing it someplace cool and dark until springtime.

Back