Leftovers! Help me make a barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
I have an American amber ale running in the primary right now. The Wyeast 1056 yeast should have a fairly low-stress life since the OG is only 1.045. I figure now would be a good time to put together a big barley wine recipe, brew it up in a week or two, and put it right on top of that yeast cake after I rack the American amber ale to secondary. I intend to leave the barley wine in secondary for several months, and then bottle condition it until next December or so. :)

At any rate, I'd also like to use up some of the hop pellets I have in the freezer, left-over from previous batches. I really like most of the recipe kits I've gotten from Northern Brewer, and their Barley Wine extract kit has the following ingredients:

Specialty Grains:
.5 lb Dingemans Special B
.5 lb Dingemans Biscuit

Fermentables:
6 lbs Dark Malt Syrup
6 lbs Gold Malt Syrup (late addition)

Hops:
1 oz Summit hop pellets (60 min)
1 oz Kent Goldings hop pellets (10 min)

There is no shortage of the specialty grains or the LME. I think that part of the recipe looks pretty solid, although I am toying with the idea of adding another 3 lbs of LME as a late addition to boost the gravity. Summit hops have gone up in price but are available--Kent Goldings seem to be very scarce though. Time to consult my freezer...

As luck would have it, I do have some Kent Goldings... about 3/4 oz. I also have about 1/2 ounce of Target hops, 1/2 ounce Centennial, and about 1/4 ounce of Chinook. I'm thinking of the following:
1 oz Summit (60 min)
1/2 oz Centennial (15 min)
3/4 oz Kent Goldings (5 min)

I'm new to fooling with recipes. I winged an oatmeal stout that came out well, and I've tinkered with reducing the bittering hops to compensate for larger boil volumes, but that's about it. I don't want to create any flavor conflicts or make the recipe too "busy" (even though it is a barley wine).

What do you think?

Should work just fine without the extra LME. The limit for 1056 is 10% and you may have trouble with the ferment stalling otherwise.

Back