how long will crushed specialty grains last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
i have my yeast in my fridge and my hops in the freezer but i am worried about my specialty grains becoming stale. they where delivered 6 days ago and i only opened the bag to sniff them. will they be ok if i just keep them in the bag they came in in my basement until sunday or so when i get around to brewing?

alright cool. i hope to get it done soon but with work and college sunday is my only day off this week

Personal experience: brewed up two kits w/specialty grains that I'd had sitting around that were roughly 6 months old.

Other than the yeast being kept in the fridge, the kits were just sitting in my spare bedroom. Both batches are finishing up fermenting now, and even though they're not a "finished product" they still taste delicious as is.

So I'd say that a week or two isn't going to make a difference.

Good to hear as I'm about to brew an IIPA with crushed grains at least 6 mos. old but have been stored in a (relatively?) airtight Home Depot bucket with lid. Lots of grains going in so we'll see how it works out. My pellet hops are basically of the same age, but stored in the fridge, then freezer for that time.

Latest posts

Back