How should I enter it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine back in like Apr that I oaked and it is starting to taste really good. Theres a local competition in a couple weeks that I will probably enter and I'm trying to decide how to enter my beer. Should I enter it in the barleywine section, the wood aged beers sections, or both? Obviously entering it in the wood aged would be the best stylisticly I think, but both sections would give me more chances to do well. But I don't really want to waste four bottles of it on the barleywine category if they are just gonna say it tastes oakey. What do you guys think?

You are probably best off putting it in 22C. Wood-Aged Beer, as oak isn't part of the base barleywine style. You'll probably also want to decide what the underlying style is. If it is highly hopped, call it an Oaked American Barleywine (19C).

I have to agree with David. I can't imagine it would do very well as a Barleywine because not matter how tasty it is, it would still be oakey and not to style.

Back