Witbeir yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty307

Reaction score
I brewed a witbeir 10 days ago. It is an all grain recipe using wyeast 3499 ( Belgian wit). I am still in primary bubbling about every2 seconds with proteins churning. Seems unusual to me any thoughts?

10 days doesn't seem that unusual to me. I don't think I've used your particular strain before but a wit yeast probably doesn't flocculate too well so it may take a bit longer.

Did it start pretty quick? I'd say if it still looks to be fermenting healthy you did something right. Relax and have yourself a brew...

Great thanks for the input. It took off within 8 hrs and blew out pretty well. Still bubbling every 3 seconds at 14 days. Just going to let it ride.

Yeah, give it another week, then take a gravity reading. Its possible that its done fermenting and the bubbling is just co2 off-gassing from the beer while it sits. But the beer will still be better with some extra time for the yeast to clean up after itself, so don't worry about it until a week from now. Then take another reading three days later or so, and if its the same its probably finished up.

I make a lot of wits. Three weeks in primary is good if you have the time. If gravity hasn't hit your target, swirl fermenter and rouse yeast. With proper pitching rate and at least two weeks primary, I've never had an issue with the Wit yeast.

Cheers

I just bottled a Wit (WLP 400) on Tuesday. Had been on primary almost 4 weeks, yet still had a bit of a "head" when I opened her up. The phenol smell had cleaned up nicely though. As I was bottling I took a small tasting sample in a glass. Put a huge smile and then some on my face. Dying to try it when it's finished carbing/conditioning.

Bottled yesterday after 14 days in primary and 7 days in secondary. Mild to no esters and mild phenol smell. I may have gotten a little carried away with hopping. All in all a good ( not great) beer so far. Week to two in the bottle then we're drinking. Thanks for all the input guys it really was helpful.

Back