• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Farm direct hops for $0.29 ounce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are great prices for 1oz packs...almost too good to be true.

Anyone else going to pull the trigger and order?

I put in 1lb and it quoted me $9.95, which is pretty high since USPS doesn't charge near that much for 1lb. When I upped it to 5lbs, it was only $14.95, which I think is fairly reasonable. I'll keep them in mind for my next bulk purchase.

I wrote them, and they answered back quite fast. The hops are from 2009, and he wrote,
"Oh I forgot were still trying to get the shipping correct on Paypal so we
may have to issue a credit if you purchase on the site. Were trying to get
it worked out but not one of us is that smart.

We will not overcharge for shipping and will refund any over payments. "

Sounds fair. Might order a few pounds.

My girlfriends' brother lives in Portland, not to far from there. Trying to get her to talk him into making a trip there, and him flat rate shipping the hops to me in Michigan with promises of BEER.

I too emailed him just to clear something up: the web page states "sold in 1oz packs" thats not what they are selling:

I asked:
"I found your companys web page and was thinking about putting an order together but wanted to ask:
The 1 oz. hop packs are in nitrogen sealed bags?"
He wrote back:
"These pellet hops we are offering are 2009 crop, during harvest we ship our product to be pelletized after they have been dried. We pelletize into 22 pound high vapor barrier food grade foil bags, injected with nitrogen and vacuumed sealed. Then the hops are flash frozen in the 44 pound boxes and stored on a pallet in our warehouse freezer at 24 degrees until we sell them to breweries. We are a wholesale farm and will not re-package your pound of hops in 16 one ounce packs, this is a bulk purchase for the amount of hops you request and will not be in individual one ounce packages."

Me
"That's what I thought but with the seeing: "Sold in 1oz packs" on your web page gave me the impression you might happen to have something packaged for home brewer shops on hand. I certenly wouldn't ask for repackaging. My concern is freshness on my end 10 pounds would take me over a year to consume so knowing how they are packed will effect how much I'd order."

Him:
"No prob I can make them up in 4 pound bags fairly easy, just so you know. Even if you wanted to get 10 lbs of one you really want or use a lot of I could do it line this 4 lbs, 4 lbs, and 2 lbs, if you wanted I just need to know or I will do it all in one bag."
"Ya I have to get the website people to make that tag per ounce not the way it looks I agree it looks like I have them all in one ounce packs and that is just dumb."

This place can ship up to a pound in a usps flat rate box and from there they go to UPS. They just charge base rates; what you'd find un ups's web site
(zip code to zip code + weight).

Has anyone ordered from hops direct?
How are their pounds packaged?
How are their shipping rates?

I ordered but didnt have them shipped. The guys super cool and vacuum sealed 11, one pound bags for me. The shipping is whatever UPS charges. He told me he doesn't make any money on the shipping.

nitrogen and vacuumed sealed or just vacuumed sealed, not that I know how much different that makes.

Just came home with 9 lbs of hop pellets form these guys, it was insane the hops and the prices when we made the trip out there. We were invited back to buy some hop rhizomes any time we wanted ( I had mentioned we were interested in growing hops, they are one of the largest suppliers of rhizomes in the state) and we were also invited to their harvest at the end of the summer to watch the process take place. I now find that I need to make some local friends to help me brew up all the beer these hops will make, but I can without a doubt tell you that you will be taken care of, and that these guys are more than on the level.

We didn't take any photos of the werehouse that they bagged up the goods in, but once I find my camera I will show some shots off the individual hop bags for those interested in how they bag them up for shipping.

Thanks again to WVH!

(find them on facebook)

So what quantities can we order exactly? I only brew 5-6 batches a year but want to stock up on these amazingly priced hops so I only want to order 10oz a piece of each variety. Is this possible? Or, do I need to purchase in 10lb+ packages. I'm a little confused... thanks guys.

he was weighing bagging them up while i was standing there, so i am sure he can do 10oz pouches, i think he is just trying to avoid sending 30 one ounce baggies out to each person. send an email or give a call.

i got half lb. bags of a couple varieties fwiw

10 oz of each is fine by him, just be sure that its still a good deal w/ the shipping charge, email paul tell him what you want and ask for a shipping quote.

good point, at the flat rate shipping, you may want to order with a friend to maximize the savings. Gas for me was 3.00 which was diffused nicely over the 9 lbs.

Back