help - my yeast has fallen and cant get up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Just finished up an imperial stout variation. It been 36hrs now and not a single sign of giddy-up from the yeast. Not a single bubble on the surface of the wort. I would have though I would have blow-out problems with this one. Its double pitched with london ale 1028. I aerated (vigorously stirred with slotted spoon and whisked the top while stirring with w/ wire wisk for several minutes). The temp stays around 75-80F constantly. I ran to the the store and added some yeast nutrient and aerated again (this was the next morning). I have removed my blow-off hose and put the airlock back on to look for any signs of fermentation. Did I get a few packs of anorexic yeast perhaps? or ami I just too impatient? never had this prob before...

Thanks,
TxT

Well take a gravity sample first. If it is lower than it is fermenting. If it is unchanged then there are some bigger problems.

If there is a problem and you want to risk waiting longer then you could get some more yeast and make a starter or you could pitch something dry in there.

Some Nottingham or some Fermintis S-04 might do well.

Im gonna wait at least another 24 hours. I have seen some condensation building on the inside of the airlock that wasnt there previously so maybe thats a sign.....thanks for the tip.

TxT

First, fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Secondly the only way to truly know is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

And relax.....:mug:

You definetly need to wait a while. From your other thread your OG was 1.112. You severely underpitched. Probably by about half the amount you should have. You should have made a BIG starter.

Just give it some more time, and expect to be coaxing those tired little guys along for a while.

Its funny how not but an hour after I started this thread, the little boogers decided to rise and shine. here we are now almot 36hrs later and the airlock has been popping off like 4th of july non stop. This time tomorrow, I will add some nutrient to keep those guys on their sugar binge. Maybe it was sugar shock that caused the delay ;) because of all that malt and honey. - Lol.

TxT

Back