Session stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I spend a week on-call for work every month. During that time I have to limit my beer intake (one or none). I want to brew a low abv (3% or less) sweet stout or oatmeal stout to keep on hand for when I'm on-call so I can havea couple brews. Anyone tried any like this that they would recomend?

I was looking at the all grain version:

4 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Ale
1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Roast Barley
1 lbs. Lactose

Boil Additions
1 oz. Willamette (60 min)

If you choose dry yeast
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast.
Optimum temperature: 64-70° F.

If you choose liquid yeast
Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast.
Optimum temperature: 62-72° F.

I thought about it, but 1.5lbs of flaked oats and 1 lb of lactose seems like such a large amount for both for such a small beer. I thought about changin this one by decreasing oats and lactose a bit and increasing the roasted barley and adding some chocolate malt?

I would drink that beer. If you decide to add some chocolate, go easy on it. In fact I'd stay away from the chocolate entirely.

In fact I would totally drink that beer, the only thing I would change is like you mentioned backing off on the lactose some,but thats personal preference - I don't like sweet.

With a pound of lactose, I might even add a 1/4 pound of maltodextrin and use S-04 (because I have a yeast crush on it), just to keep it from being too sweet (I have a yeast prejudice against Windsor) but to preserve some body. Without my meddling, though, I also would drink that beer.

Edit: Maybe I'd use S-04 anyway, if Irish is the liquid yeast of choice. The S-04 is an excellent yeast.

The S-04 is an excellent yeast.

Y007 Safale S-04
A well-known English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindroconical tanks. High sedimentation. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F

I'm thinking I'll use this strain for my milk stout.

Latest posts

Back