Building a manifold on the cheap???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a 4-way expandable manifold on the cheap. McMaster is the cheapest I've found for parts that I KNOW will work. Anybody know of anywhere cheaper?

I've found some possible cheaper parts though and am wondering if they will work.

First up is a possible cheap alternative to ball valves - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32905. Anybody used one of these and know if they would work?

Second is this - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93979. Will a couple of these chained together work instead of chaining a bunch of expensive brass tees?

Thanks!

Your links don't work.

Unless you're fly sparging, you don't NEED a manifold. $7 for a stainless steel braid at any of the big-box home improvement stores and you're done (well, you might need to clamp it to something). The braid works awesome for batch sparging (and I've been hitting 80% - 90% on recent batches with a simple batch sparge).

Sorry, I guess I should clarify that. Gas manifold for the CO2 for my kegs, a splitter if you want to call it that... Links are fixed.

that'll work fine
I have a beverage-air 4 tap cooler and it has an aluminum manifold and 4 brass ball valves
just connect the as many in series as you want with brass nipples.

I figured the aluminum manifold would probably work if I daisy chain them together. What about the brass air line regulators instead of ball valves? What I'm not sure about is if you can completely cut off the flow with one of those. I figured on using it fully closed or wide open, as I don't need it to regulate flow. It is several dollars cheaper than the least expensive ball valve I can find.

If i had to guess i wouldn't think that valve from harbor freight would be machined well enough to cut off the flow of 10 psi CO2. But you could always try 1 and let us know...

HomeDepot in their air compressor section have brass 90 degree lever valves with a stainless ball, they had male and female ends per valve. I believe it was 3/8" NPT and only a couple bucks each. As far a manifolds drill and tap some brass hex stock if you have a lathe and drill press within reach. Add as many stations and regulators needed for different Co2 tap pressures, Nitro taps well another added system.

Back