Blue Screen of Death - desperate for help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
hopefully some IT folks who aren't drunk can help me out with this....

I'm geting the Blue Screen of Death on a brand new system I built. It has yet to boot into Windows XP. I have a new motherboard, cpu, video card, and RAM along with 2 of the old hard drives, 1 with XP and the other with Linux Ubuntu. Neither drive will boot.

I can get into the BIOS fine, it then runs a memory check which says it's ok, then as it continues to boot and I am expecting the XP splash page, then I get the BOSD.
It says to check newly installed hard drives, hard drive controllers, check for viruses, and check the drive for errors. This is the error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (OXF78A2528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I have also received this error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (OXBACC7528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Here are the new parts I am using:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

SAPPHIRE 100166L Radeon X1650XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop MemoryCould this BSOD be due to faulty RAM?

Did you take your hard drives with the OS's already loaded from another system and then put them in this one or install a fresh copy of the OS once they were in the new system?

If you just moved them in and tried to boot then Windows is probably flipping out trying to find the various controllers it would have been using on your old setup. Of biggest concern is the motherboard, whenever I upgrade mine I ALWAYS reload the OS because I've never had the system come back stable after switching out motherboards.

For starters, I would strip everything out of the system that isn't necessary to boot. Take out the Linux hard drive, if the motherboard has onboard video us it and pull the Radeon card and pull out any sound cards, TV tuner cards, network cards, etc. that may be installed. If the system boots with just the bare hardware then start adding the pieces back one at a time until you get the BSOD again.

If, however, the system doesn't boot with just the bare bones I'd reinstall your OS's.

the new MB does not have on-board video and does not have an AGP slot for my old video card. The old MB burnt out yesterday too..... I'm using a friend's laptop to type this.

I did just try to boot straight from the old HDD, I am unable to reinstall XP but I can install Vista on the Linux drive if I would be able to re-format that one but I'm not familiar with Linux enough to do that.

Hmmm...I'm not very Linux savvy either but I think Vista would recognize the volumes created by Linux so you could boot off the Vista CD with just the Linux drive installed on the system, blow away any of the volumes present on the hard drive and install Vista. I'm assuming there's no data or anything on the Linux drive that you want to keep?

yeah, there's nothing on there I need. it was just for screwing around with Linux and as a backup OS in case my XP drive crashed....go figure.

LOL...what? A Microsoft OS crashed into oblivion? No, say it ain't so.... LOL

Well good luck on the reinstall, that should get you back up and running. That will be one heck of a gaming rig once you're done. What games are you into?

i just replayed Half Life 2, I tend to like 1st person shooters but most of the good ones out now are too much for my old system.

I've hit another snag, nothing is going right with this build. my new motherboard only has 1 IDE connector, the old one has 2. I need to hook up 2 HDD's, cd burner, and dvd burner. it has SATA connections on the board but I don't have an SATA drive. So it looks like I need to either return the board and pay the restocking fee from newegg.com or go out and buy an SATA drive. Best Buy has a 160gb SATA drive for $59 this week. So I need to decide if I want to wait for the return to process and get a new board shipped out or switch to SATA and make my other HDD's basically useless unless I want to swap out the connection for the HDD and the burners. Unless there is a way to connect all 4 with 1 IDE connection, I don't see any other way.

No, unfortunately IDE is still limited to 2 devices per controller so you're kind of SOL there. If spending the $60 is doable I'd upgrade to a SATA drive, better performance.

Have a spare PCI slot? They sell IDE controllers that pop right into a PCI slot. They usually have 2 channels on them allowing you 4 additional devices.

I agree with everyone so far....one additional thing to check is that the BIOS is up to date.

Back