Amber Wheat using Saison Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know if I can use a Saison Yeast on this Amber Wheat recipe ? Im new and I would like to try to brew this recipe from NTOLERANCE but would like to be able to hot ferment it, if Im not able to do this please explain why not.
And yes I already know about using a freezer with a controller or using a wet t-shirt wrap in a tub of ice water to cool ferment, in the summer I will be using the t-shirt method to keep the fermenting temp down to 85 to 90 deg range, hence the Saison idea.
So what do you guys and gals think?

Thanks
WileECoyote
Cheers :mug:

Here is the recipe.
Thanks to NTOLERANCE's for sharing his Amber Wheat-Easiest beer I have ever made recipe

On to the ingredients.

Grains / extract

3.3 lbs extra light extract syrup
3.3 lbs wheat extract syrup
1 lb wheat dry extract
.25 lbs carapils/dextrine
.25 lbs crystal 20L
( I have brewed this with and without the last two ingredients. I prefer it with)

Water
Do not use all tap water. There are two reasons for this:

1. This brew will not like all hard water
2. We are going to use some of our water as a make shift chiller.
Buy 4 gallons of RO water. Read the labels at the grocery store you'll find reverse osmosis on the labels. (RO water)

Hops

I usually use saaz hops for this brew. Pick up 2 ounces of pellets.

Yeast

Safale 05 has never failed me. Yes its dry, no I don't use a starter. I pitch directly into the carboy. If you're worried about dry yeast, use a 1056 liquid pack.

Sanitizer

I use starsan. Easy to measure out, reuseable and inexpensive

Other

I use irish moss in most of my brews. I use 1 tsp in this brew
Coriander ( 1 oz cracked)and orange zest(1 orange) are also optional. I use both everytime I make this.

1056 usually ferments cleanly while a Saison yeast will impart different flavors. If you use another yeast, you're going to end up with a different flavor profile. Can you do it? Absolutely - but you should expect a taste that does not match the original recipe.

What kind of a flavor difference should I expect? I have not tasted this beer so I wouldn't know exactly what it taste like, but I do have an idea of what its going to be like, without the Saison that is.

Saison strains are usually pretty aggressive with high attenuation. That will dry out the Amber Wheat quite a bit, but hey, it may turn out to be a flavor/taste that you love!

Also, 85-90 degrees F is much too high of a comfortable range for any yeasts I've ever seen. There is no telling how many off flavors will be produced. The highest I've seen any yeast manufacturer's recommend is 75, and that's only for some specific strains.

I'd try and think up a plan to reduce the fermentation temp a bit further. Maybe some ice bottles in your swamp cooler that are switched out multiple times a day?

--Jimbot

Saisons can do fine at mid eighties, some up to ninety... but you are going to get funky flavors in the beer. Not bad, necessarily, and expected for a Saison - but it won't taste like you'd expect an Amber Wheat to taste.

You may, however, have discovered something you love. The cool thing about homebrewing is that you have so much freedom to experiment, to come up with something new.

Thanks, after trying lots of different kinds of beers over the years, I have figured out that, I would like to try a sweeter, less (or no) hop bitterness beer, anywhere from lighter to a semi heavy beer, clear or cloudy dose not matter to me, cant seem to find anything like that off the shelf and would just like to try it. any suggestions? jimbot I think your right, with the frozen bottles too, Homebrew Dad Im really hoping I come up with something that I love to drink instead of like to drink, or ? (could that be a bad thing ?)

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it, more information is always a good thing.

This site along with the desire to try brewing for years, now has me waiting (like a kid at xmass) for my brewing kit to show up.
Thanks again!

Hello, I ordered the ingredients to make this beer, came out $50.00, thats way to expensive a beer for me to experiment on, so I will try the saison yeast out on something else, the good news is 2 beers to brew are on there way, a cream stout (kit) and the amber/wheat. :ban:

Thanks
WileECoyote

Hello, I ordered the ingredients to make this beer, came out $50.00, thats way to expensive a beer for me to experiment on, so I will try the saison yeast out on something else.

How about trying a Saison. Lots of yeast flavor (fruity or spicy depending on the yeast), low hops, and refreshing. Recipes are very simple, light extract (preferably pilsner, but any will do), table sugar, and a couple of ounces of noble hops. And they generally like high temperatures.

How about trying a Saison. Lots of yeast flavor (fruity or spicy depending on the yeast), low hops, and refreshing. Recipes are very simple, light extract (preferably pilsner, but any will do), table sugar, and a couple of ounces of noble hops. And they generally like high temperatures.

Hello Calder, Im thinking that after I get done with the 2 that are on the way, I will try a saison, do you have any recipe's ? I would like to find a good, simple one, the ones I have found are complex with lots of ingredients.

Thanks
WileECoyote

Back