Short fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I bought my first beer kit (1 Package of light, dry Malt extract with Bittering hops (Northern Brewer) already mixed into the dry malt
1 Package containing Crystal and Victory malts (Specialty Grains), 1 Package of Flavor hops (Hallertauer),
1 Package of Irish Moss 1 Package of Nottingham Ale Yeast)

That said- I pitched my yeast when the wort was probably around 80 F. I also did not know that I needed to aerate the wort, so I syphoned it into the primary.

The airlock bubbled like crazy for about 12 hours, then slowed, then completely stopped after 48 hours. I did not note the starting gravity either. The beer fermented at 72 F. I racked it into the secondary today after taking a reading from my hydrometer of 1.014.

Is this fast fermenting normal? Did I possibly do something wrong? And when do you think I should bottle? The airlock bubbled once ever 60 sec, but is now silent again.

Thanks for any tips- ....

A fermentation that fast is entirely possible. Some of those dry yeasts are really fast. I feel like I have seen it go in 48 hours.

Let it sit in the secondary at least a week, maybe two. Even if it's finished fermenting, there are lots of benefits to longer secondary times, and your beer will only improve if you let it sit a while in the secondary.

And welcome to the forums!

Cheers :D

The gravtiy looks pretty close to being finished. Remember that the actual fermentation process will kick the temperature up anywhere from 5-10 degrees, depending on how vigorous the process is. This could have been a factor in the speed of the ferment, but it could just be some kick ass yeast! Follow Janx's advice and let it hang out in the secondary for a week or two.

thanks for the advice.... i am definelty a hooked home-brewer- i have already purchased kits #2 & #3!

This is a great site :)

I hope the kits don't have you add pounds of sugar. If they do, substitute DME (dry malt extract). It'll make your beer much better...probably twice as good.

Also, consider adding some adjunct grains like crystal or chocolate malts. No need to mash and your beer will be much better than straight extract beers. Probably twice as good again.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but the subject of sugar use in kits is being discussed in other threads and it's my current mission to spread the word that sugar is not a primary fermentable...just a cheap one ;)

Cheers :D

Back