American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just made 11 gallons of this. Upped the hops a bit and made it a 60 min boil. Split the batch, pitching a Vermont Ale yeast on one and a Kolsch yeast on the other. Excited to do a side by side. :mug:

Mark me down for another 10 in the fermenter. This is often a recipe I recommend to newer all grain brewers. It gives them a chance to make a great beer with a simple grainbill and procedure. I also do the 60 minute boil. I often toast base malt for my other recipes based on the flavor I got from this years ago.

I've brewed this recipe a few times now with the Amarillo/Simcoe hop combo and it's turned out great each time. Just curious if anyone has tried other hop combos for this recipe. Thinking about changing it up this time around. Cheers. :mug:

My two cents, I've brewed this a few times as well, but have changed the yeast instead of the hops. It was interestingly contrasted using Conan and London ale. I don't think I would mess with the hops personally.

My two cents, I've brewed this a few times as well, but have changed the yeast instead of the hops. It was interestingly contrasted using Conan and London ale. I don't think I would mess with the hops personally.

What difference did you get with the Conan?

It muted the hops in some ways and accentuated then in others. I feel like Conan has some phenolic qualities that mingle with hop character, that you really don't get with clean american ale yeast. To be honest I preferred the original recipe.

I think I will stick with what I've done in the past. Especially since conan is slightly difficult to find here in the midwest and I don't have time to wait for it to arrive via the interwebs. My brew days have to be scheduled out in advance for the time being with my 2 month old boy at home :)

The recipe is just sublime as is. As a hobbyist I will mess with near anything but I know a good thing when I see (drink) it. Stick with the original and know it's amazing.

Haven't brewed this recipe in quite a while. I have a pound of the infamous 2013 Amarillo hops, I'm afraid to use them as I hear they are bad. Can anyone comment on the 2013 crop of Amarillo?

I am all set to brew this tomorrow. As some of you mentioned earlier, when I entered this recipe into Beersmith it said the IBU's will be over 60...which push it into the IPA range. Are you guys noticing this beer come out more bitter than it should?

Should I consider cutting back on the 60min addition? Or maybe adding some of that 60min addition as FWH's instead?

It's on the hairy edge between a pale ale and an IPA. That said, it's not too bitter if you like that style. Don't trust the math, trust the taste buds.

I'm far from an IPA fan and this was pretty good. All depending on my pipeline I may make it again this year. I wouldn't worry about the IBU count this is a good brew.

So this is sitting in the fermenter and bubbling away nicely. Cant wait to try it! I have been wanting to find a "house" APA in the 5.5% ABV range for the fishing and golfing trips. Hopefully my search is over.

Brewed this up a few weeks ago and just finished carbing it up. I only tweaked the recipe slightly by keeping the IBU around 42 and I added 1 oz of Citra as a whirlpool addition while I was chilling.

Thanks for the great recipe Dude! :mug:

IMG_0517.jpg

Made this last year and thinking of brewing again, but with different hops. Thinking of keeping the malt bill the same but changing the hops up a bit using Calypso for bittering and El Dorado and Citra in place of the Simcoe and Amarillo. Any thoughts?

Made this last year and thinking of brewing again, but with different hops. Thinking of keeping the malt bill the same but changing the hops up a bit using Calypso for bittering and El Dorado and Citra in place of the Simcoe and Amarillo. Any thoughts?

I think part of the magic of the Dude's recipe is how well Amarillo and Simcoe work together. I'm sure those hop substitutions will be fine, it will just be different. I haven't used El Dorado yet, so I am not sure how it will play with Citra.

I agree the OP recipe is great, I really have no complaints with it, I'm just looking for more of an orange/lemon citrus character. The amarillo should provide it's orange/tropical fruit aroma and flavor while the El Dorado will give some candied orange/lemon/cherry.

I'm more or less looking to head in the direction of Stone's Delicious IPA, no really clone it, with a little less bitterness, not that Delicious is all that bitter. They used Lemon Drop and El Dorado in that and I like the aroma and flavor of it. A lot of descriptions make Lemon Drop and Amarillo seem close to each other. I would have to order Lemon Drop as LHBS doesn't carry them and I'm looking to brew this weekend and Lemon Drop are running at around $3/oz unless you buy in bulk and Amarillo is $1.79, I'm knocking about $3 off ingredients. I already have plenty of El Dorado so no concerns on that one.

I agree the OP recipe is great, I really have no complaints with it, I'm just looking for more of an orange/lemon citrus character. The amarillo should provide it's orange/tropical fruit aroma and flavor while the El Dorado will give some candied orange/lemon/cherry.

I'm more or less looking to head in the direction of Stone's Delicious IPA, no really clone it, with a little less bitterness, not that Delicious is all that bitter. They used Lemon Drop and El Dorado in that and I like the aroma and flavor of it. A lot of descriptions make Lemon Drop and Amarillo seem close to each other. I would have to order Lemon Drop as LHBS doesn't carry them and I'm looking to brew this weekend and Lemon Drop are running at around $3/oz unless you buy in bulk and Amarillo is $1.79, I'm knocking about $3 off ingredients. I already have plenty of El Dorado so no concerns on that one.

I say go for it! I added Citra in the past and loved it while my non-IPA drinking friends preferred the original recipe. If it sounds good to you give it a shot, you're the one that has to drink it!

Picked up ingredients today. Decided to go with citra and El Dorado, can't wait to see how much it differs from the original.

Brewed today, OG hit 1.054 so a touch low but don't think that'll make much of a difference in the end product. Used S-05 for the first time so I'll see if I like how it performs.

My last batch I used Denny's favorite and after the first few weeks the malt became more prominent than the hop flavor. I know hop flavor and aroma fade over time but I think it happened quicker using Denny's as it's known to accentuate the malt.

I checked on this yesterday and it looks fermentation has stopped bit the gravity is only at 1.022. Has anybody else had any problem with S-05 getting stuck? I gently stirred it to kick up the yeast and moved it to a slightly warmer spot. I pitched the yeast at 60 degrees and kept it on a cellar floor where the ambient temp is 64. Within 24 hours the airlock was very active and it seemed to start settling down after a couple days. After a full week there was still a bubble in the airlock every min to minute and a half.

Yesterday when I checked on it the airlock had little bubbles of sanitizer that are present when its bubbling away, but I waited a couple min before taking the lid off and never saw any bubbling. So, its possible it was still slowly chewing through the sugars, but most post I've read say S-05 is a pretty quick fermenter.

Moved this to a warmer area of the house about 5 days ago and the SG is now at 1.018. Hoping it might drop a few more points, but if it doesn't I think it'll be fine, better than 1.022. Hydro sample was good, sweet orange, tangerine, clementine being the most prominent.
This is the first time I've really picked up on the candy like sweetness that El Dorado imparts and the Citra is giving off mostly tastes from the orange family. Planning to dry hop today or tomorrow and bottle it up at the end of the week.

Brewed this on Monday exactly as described, but I've run out of Simcoe, so I have to change dry hopping additions.

1oz of amarillo plus...? Any suggestion? I have Citra, Mosaic, Columbus, Ahtanum, Cascade and maybe some more.

This might have been explained in the 67 pages but I can't look through all them! For the toasted grains do you have to frosts them yourself or can you buy it already toasted and how do you toast them yourself? Thanks for any help. Want to try this recipe just have to figure out the toasted grain part.

I toast my own. Oven 350, grain on cookie sheet spread out, 15-20, stir occasionally until smells toasty.
I believe some have used victory instead.

This looks like the next one on my list - in 2 days. Kind of down on how fast dry hop aroma fades in general, am thinking of whirlpooling those dryhop additions, perhaps once the wort gets to 180-ish. Any thoughts or experience with that? My whirlpool-hopped beers really seem to retain their aroma. Not that this one will last long by all accounts :)

I have honestly had no issues with the dry hop aroma fading quickly in mine. It takes weeks for it to fade for me, though I will admit that I am dry hopping in the keg. Looks like you bottle, how long and how do you do your dry hop? Secondary? Hop bag?

Yep, I bottle. I most likely would dryhop in primary using a hopbag. Perhaps that process is less than ideal. Admittedly part of me likes the idea of not messing with the beer after brewday (until bottling). I believe I'll just brew as per the OP and let the chips fall where they may - its clearly a fantastic brew! :mug:

Yep, I bottle. I most likely would dryhop in primary using a hopbag. Perhaps that process is less than ideal. Admittedly part of me likes the idea of not messing with the beer after brewday (until bottling). I believe I'll just brew as per the OP and let the chips fall where they may - its clearly a fantastic brew! :mug:

One question. Dry hopping in primary (I have done this before and it works), do you toss the hops in loose? I found that dropping pellets loose in primary occasionally ends up with them falling and sinking into the trub/yeast layer. I can see that as reducing flavor extraction some and it all getting stuck in there. I would reccomend throwing the hops in a sanitized hop bag, weighted down with marbles or a shot glass or something that way there is opportunity for the hops or at least some of them the be above the trub/yeast layer. Might help keep the dry hop flavor strong.

Then again, dry hops do tend to fade, and the carbonation/conditioning time does count against their flavor retention timeline.

One question. Dry hopping in primary (I have done this before and it works), do you toss the hops in loose?
Good question - I have typically thrown in loose although have started to employ a hopbag. My Simcoe pale ale is delicious but the dryhop aroma (using hopbag) has faded. I will likely dryhop in primary w/bag as per the OP. Can't wait to be off tomorrow - brewday! :rockin:

Going to put this brew on my short list to brew by the end of the year, just have a few questions.

What temperature is good for fermenting this beer, and how long are you fermenting? Cold crash and gelatin finings after dry-hop? I will be bottling.

If I don't use US-05 I am considering 1056 or 1272. Anyone have feedback with these yeasts that they've tried in this recipe?

How about the bitterness, I am showing 60.7 IBU's copying the exact recipe in Beersmith. Has anyone cut this back? If I am going to cut it back to 45-50 IBU's should I only adjust the 60 minute bittering hop to accomplish this?

Thanks, can't wait to brew this!

Going to put this brew on my short list to brew by the end of the year, just have a few questions.

What temperature is good for fermenting this beer, and how long are you fermenting? Cold crash and gelatin finings after dry-hop? I will be bottling.

If I don't use US-05 I am considering 1056 or 1272. Anyone have feedback with these yeasts that they've tried in this recipe?

How about the bitterness, I am showing 60.7 IBU's copying the exact recipe in Beersmith. Has anyone cut this back? If I am going to cut it back to 45-50 IBU's should I only adjust the 60 minute bittering hop to accomplish this?

Thanks, can't wait to brew this!

Generally you ferment at the middle of the yeast threshold.. I didn't bother cold crashing, finish or anything else. It was a little hazy but I don't care. It is too good.you should be okay with the other yeasts. You just want something neutral. I would leave the bitterness where it is. The juiciness of the hops is perfect for the recipes level of bitterness which actually seems like too little.

As with any recipe. I would start out with brewing it as it stands and then make adjustments later to suit your tastes. This recipe makes a great beer.

I just brewed this guy on Sunday, stuck pretty close to the original recipe but I went down to a 35L crystal and made a starter from some Inland Island Northern California Ale (pretty sure it's just chico) that I got as a freebie.

Og was 1.58 or so, I got a lot of gunk in my hydro sample. Down to 1.02 as of last night, ramping it up to 73F to help it finish out. Tastes great so far, the hop combination is lovely.

Latest posts

Back