Sam Adams Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How is this beer to style? I haven't sampled many Irish Reds.

I quite liked the beer, but I was expecting less sweetness and more roastiness - more roasted grains and less crystal I guess.

In any case, I'd drink it again.

I like it, on the other hand my brother in law hates it but hes a bmc guy. on a side note I like it to warm up a bit before I drink it

Cool, thanks. That's about what I thought after reading up before trying it. I thought it tasted sort of like an English style amber ale without the hops (guess that'd be the ol' Scotish, eh?). Not what I expected.

A newbie(ish) opinion..

I agree, way too sweet. I tasted it side by side with my Irish Red homebrew from midwest and it(SA's) was sickly sweet. Color was about the same, just had that twang. All in all not a bad beer but certainly not one of SA's best.

A newbie(ish) opinion..

I agree, way too sweet. I tasted it side by side with my Irish Red homebrew from midwest and it(SA's) was sickly sweet. Color was about the same, just had that twang. All in all not a bad beer but certainly not one of SA's best.

For your health!

This beer has won a gold metal in more than one competition so can't be THAT much out of the style guidelines. I didn't find it too sweet at all.

I had the 'Boston Brick Red' on tap when I was over there this week (apparently only served on tap in Boston) and it was VERY similar to the Irish Red, though I would say less sweet on the finish. Both could use a healthy dose of the roasted barley to become good beers (up from decent).

Latest posts

Back