Help with eBrewery Control Panel Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcclell78

Reaction score
All,

Here is what I am wanting to do.

50 AMP Service via 50AMP GFCI Spa Panel

HLT - 15.5 Gallon Aluminum POT powered by appropriate sized 240V element

MLT - 10 Gallon Cooler with Heat maintained by RIMS Tube with appropriate sized heating element

BK - 15.5 Gallon Aluminum Pot powered by appropriate sized 240V element.

2 pump system with potential for third

I am hoping to be able to trun HLT, MLT, and BK all at the same time. Is this possible using a 50A feed?

I have read and read various threads on this site and gotten several great ideas but am hoping the above concepts has been drawn out and/or possible.

Thanks....Nick

Sounds like a pretty standard RIMS system. 240V @ 50A will give you theortically 12kW of power so if you want all of the elemnts on at one time you will need to be under that (which you most likely won't be). One point is that for the rims tube you might want to look at either a low watt 120V element or running a 4-5kW 240V element at 120V to cut the power down. I am not experienced enough to be able to advise you on the power limits when using both 240V and 120V from your spa panel.
Do a search for P-J's posts as he has done a diagram for nearly every single combination of requirements. Find one that is close to what you need and post it up with what extras you want on it.
One question is why do you want all three elements going at once?

I have similar restrictions - check the build in my signature. 50A/240v service. I want to run back to back brews so I would need to run HLT, BK, and RIMS at the same time as well as 2 pumps. So 2 4500W/240V elements (BK and HLT) and a 2000W/240V element in my RIMS. Add up the power requirements 4500/240=18.75Amps x 2 elements = 37.5 amps. 2000/240=8.33Amps (if you run a 2000W/240V element in your RIMS). Add these up and you get 45.83Amps just for elements. Allow a couple of amps for the pumps and you within the 50Amps. You want to make sure your are running on a dedicated GFCI service.

If you want to run 5500W/240V (which is 22.92Amps) you need to use 60Amp service.

Back