Need help bottle carbing/conditioning a 22% Eisbock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoBiter

Reaction score
We brewed a 9.5ish% ABV Doppel Bock with a OG of 1.1 and a FG of 1.027. We used WLP833 yeast which is good up to 8-12% for primary fermentation. We started with 8.5 gallons and we are in the process for freezing it down to about 2.8 gallons (in my best estimations from some interwebz research) to get it to the 22% mark. At the 4.25 gallon mark the SG was 1.04ish. We are going to going to lager it for some time and then bottle.

Is the WLP099 best option for bottle conditioning?
We plan on using regular crimp on bottle caps
Do we need to add sugar, how much yeast for 2.8 gallons?
We want some carbonation, but do not want bottle bombs!

Thanks for your help.

1) Probably at 22% the best yeast for the job but double check the range on the yeast.
2) yes, why would you think otherwise?
3) Of course you need to add sugar, you need to produce co2, and that happens by the yeast consuming sugar, there's probably no sugar left if fermentation is complete, so that's a given. The bigger issue is a yeast that can function in that environment which we talked about above.
3(b) Dobblebocks carb range is between 2.26 and 2.62 volumes of co2... you gotta decide where in the range you want it... I usually opt for the middle of the carb to style ranges so I would aim to play it safe at 2.5 vols. Use the tasty brew calculator to figure out how much for your volume. Off the top of my head it's prolly about 1.25.
ounces/gallon...the calculator will tell you.

:mug:

1) Probably at 22% the best yeast for the job but double check the range on the yeast.
2) yes, why would you think otherwise?
3) Of course you need to add sugar, you need to produce co2, and that happens by the yeast consuming sugar, there's probably no sugar left if fermentation is complete, so that's a given. The bigger issue is a yeast that can function in that environment which we talked about above.
3(b) Dobblebocks carb range is between 2.26 and 2.62 volumes of co2... you gotta decide where in the range you want it... I usually opt for the middle of the carb to style ranges so I would aim to play it safe at 2.5 vols. Use the tasty brew calculator to figure out how much for your volume. Off the top of my head it's prolly about 1.25.
ounces/gallon...the calculator will tell you.

:mug:
Thanks for the input!

I know some folks use corks and cages on bottles that can handle more pressure when adding yeast in addition to sugar for priming. Since I knew we had to add yeast I was just double checking it was OK to use crimp on bottle caps when adding yeast to carb up.

My reasoning about asking if we needed sugar was since everything was being concentrated by de-icing and the SG was going up, maybe they were concentrated enough to carb....I guess that isn't how it works.

Amount of sugar I can figure, but how much yeast? Will it matter since it will only eat the sugar that I add and won't carb any further and then die? The whole vial sounds like too much.

Latest posts

Back