Weis advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
I've brewed an all brain Weis on the 4th Jan. Used Safbrew WB 06. OG was 1,048 (target was 1,055).

anyway, it been fermenting away merrily ever since and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. Still bubbling at ± 90 sec intervals.

That's 26 days !!!

Gravity as measured this morning is 1,009.

Should I crash cool it an bottle or leave it to ferment out fully ?

Weis advice would be nice !

BTW, it's been kept at a steady 20 C in my fermenting freezer.

If it has further to go and you bottle early then you will likely get gushers.
Confirm first that fermentation is complete before bottling.

+1. There's certain things yeast do at the end of fermentation that clean up off flavors. Don't rely on airlock activity and take another gravity reading. If it doesn't change for 3 total days then bottle.

Thanks guys

Is there not a danger of over fermenting ??? Giving off flavors ?

If it ferments below your target FG then it was likely a problem in the mash. The only off flavors you'll have is lack of residual complex sugars. If you don't let it ferment completely then you risk real off flavors and definitely bottle bombs unless you keg

Looking at the BJCP for 15A it seems the low end its 1.01. Plenty of room. And you were in the middle off the range for OG so I'd let it finish.

Quick up date and question.

This Weis is STILL FERMENTING !!!!!

Bubbles about every 5 or 6 minutes.

However, gravity is remaining at about 1,009 and has been steady for couple of days now.

Can I safely bottle now or will the fact that it's still bubbeling indicate that I should wait until all activity stops completely ?

Please advise :confused:

PS Tasted a samp-le from the hydrometer and it tastes awesome !!!! So I don't want to spoil it.

Quick up date and question.

This Weis is STILL FERMENTING !!!!!

Bubbles about every 5 or 6 minutes.

However, gravity is remaining at about 1,009 and has been steady for couple of days now.

Can I safely bottle now or will the fact that it's still bubbeling indicate that I should wait until all activity stops completely ?

Please advise :confused:

PS Tasted a samp-le from the hydrometer and it tastes awesome !!!! So I don't want to spoil it.
Gravity is stable it is not still fermenting,go ahead and bottle it.

Back