Whirlfloc: When and when not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackyMcZap

Reaction score
I'm making EdWort's Bavarian Hef today and was curious if I should throw in a Whirlfloc tablet. I know hefs are supposed to be cloudy, but does that happen post-boil? Will the irish moss make it too clear?

I was also wondering about using it on dark ales like stouts and porters. It's going to be black anyway, but does coagulating at the end of the boil help reduce off-flavors?

No need in a hef, just use it when you want a clear beer. I use it in dark beers, you can still see the clarity/haze in them.

The reason hefe should be cloudy is because of the yeast. The Whirlfloc will not effect yeast flocculation. Personally, I use Whirlfloc in every batch, coagulating the proteins and keeping them out of the beer should help in not only the clarity but in the stability of the final product.

The reason hefe should be cloudy is because of the yeast. The Whirlfloc will not effect yeast flocculation. Personally, I use Whirlfloc in every batch, coagulating the proteins and keeping them out of the beer should help in not only the clarity but in the stability of the final product.
I agree, and I also use Whirlfloc or Irish moss in every batch. It really does aid in coagulating proteins and unwanted polyphenols/tannins in the kettle so that they precipitate out of your wort.

I used Whirfloc for the first time yesterday. I usually use Irish Moss. I noticed a very significant increase in visible cold break at the bottom of the kettle after chilling to 65F. Slightly off-topic, but seems like pretty good stuff.

Latest posts

Back