92% attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well... not sure whether I should be happy about this or not. :confused:

Racked my Belgian to secondary today. Wanted this to be a BIG beer that attenuated down quite a bit; I missed on the former, nailed the latter. Wanted to hit 1.082, only got 1.064, for my original gravity (I did collect more wort that usual, even after a two-hour boil).

But, final gravity was 1.005 (temperature adjusted).

I had one pound of candi sugar in there.

Mashed real low - 147°; meant to be closer to 149°, but had trouble keeping the temp up. Thickness started out pretty stiff, ended up normal (~1.25 qt/lb, maybe a touch more) after all the infusions to get temperature up.

Did an extended mash - 90 minutes.

Started fermentation at ~68°, moved it up a degree or two for the following week, by the end of the first week it was basically at cellar temp (76°).

So, I don't really have a question, other than wondering if this is going to prove to be TOO dry. Tastes good, not hot as I was worried it might be. Just wanted to throw all of this out there for anyone who might be thinking of how they can get their beers to dry out more; all of these things were done specifically with attenuation in mind, and at least a few of them seem to have worked!

EDIT: Kinda important, WLP 550.

I made a belgian honey ale that started around 1.058 and finished at 1.008. It was dryer than I was looking for but it has "smoothed" out some since it has been bottled. Been in the bottle for about a month now and it is good but still a little dryer than I was shooting for. Still very drinkable.

Hope that helps.

Those belgian yeasts are crazy. My belgian started at 1.082 and had a pound of the candi syrup, and I got 88% out of those little guys

It's so hard to tell now whether it will ultimately prove to be TOO dry, trying to judge just off the hydrometer sample. Tastes good, though; not as aggressive a flavor profile as I expected given the recipe. Going to cold condition it for a month, month and a half (still very cloudy).

Back