Lactic acid vs Acetic acid profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewrifle

Reaction score
Did my first batch of Kombucha yesterday and there's already visible results from the 1 gallon jar, but I had a few questions.

Is it possible to get lactic acid profile from Kombucha? I really enjoy brewing sour beers and wanted to know if that sort of tartness can be achieved with Kombucha as opposed to the acetic/vinegar profile?

Also, does anyone ever do 100% white tea batches? I had some at a random tea trailer here in Austin and it was phenomenal so I think I'll give that a whirl next batch.

I made a batch recently that I inoculated with a mixture of Lactobacillus strains, before adding my kombucha mother culture.

The results were good, but it required a bit more work.

I have been thinking about adding some lactic acid to the batch before adding the mother to see if that is a reasonable alternative, as I too like the lactic character.

I haven't tried white tea, but I have heard that it is good. Let us know if you give it a shot.

I believe most kombucha mothers will contain lactobacillus, but you won't know for sure unless you test for it or add some yourself. If you want to favor lactic acid vs acetic acid the key will be to limit oxygen, which the acetobacter needs in order to convert ethanol to acetic acid.

Ive tasted latic and brett flavours in gt's divine grape. Im planning on building up a scoby with both in it this spring to try and get more funk and sour into my tea.

As for the vinagar profile there are a couple of things to try…. when i was doing continuous countertop batches I found by the third or fourth batch the scoby very strong and was making too much vinegar before finishing fermentation. When i start a new batch with a scoby from my hotel, I get a good long ferment with no vinegar profile, but when the socby gets too strong i find vinegar production surpasses the sour tea taste. As the size of the scoby does not matter for sour tea production, according to sources on the internet, I hoping using smaller scoby produces less vinegar. If that doesn't help, I was going to try a test to see if the air interface (size of scoby that contacts air) has any coralation to acetic acid production( basically I plan on trying a batch in a 6 gallon pail with the scoby having the entire surface to exchange air, I'm also going to start one in the same type of pail with a piece of neoprene on top of the liquid and only a 4" hole to throttle down the air exchange (if anyone else has ideas to reduce the size of the air exchange I'm open to suggestions) to see if it provides more time for the scoby to do its thing before vinegar production ramps up.

Latest posts

Back